Recording MIDI effects in real-time

Mediaspar

How do I record effects in real time with given MIDI information? For example, let's say I have a keyboard already recorded and in the arrange as MIDI information. How would I set a different cut-off, for example, between measures 5-7 and then return to the cut-off value I had for measures 1-4? Do I stop the sequencer, select the MIDI information between 5-7 (hi-light), and then select the cut off desired? The question being: will the modifications made in that moment only affect the selected regions?

Then you can use the Track Based Automation.

Easiest way to start:

Let's say you want to tweak the cutoff. Go to your Audio Instrument track and put it in "touch" mode (right below the pan knob). Then play the sequencer and tweak the cutoff a little bit. It doesn't matter what tweaking you're doing, what's important is that you record "some" cutoff automation.

Then go to the Arrange window, and select View>Automation. You'll see the curve corresponding to what you just did. You can now modify it and draw whatever automation you want.

Can you only edit whole instruments or is there a way to edit the information within an instrument? For example, I have a sampler instrument loaded with a kick, snare, and hi hat. For measures 9-12, I only want the hi-hat to be adjusted by cut off, not the kick and snare. Do I have to load the hi hat as a seperate instrument or can I single it out from the rest?

The filter parameters and their automation apply to the whole instrument. There are offsets that you can program on groups in the instrument edit window, but those can't be automated. You could however have a different cutoff offset for the hi-hat and for the kick.

But if you want a different cutoff for the hi-hat only in between bar 9 and 12, while the cutoff for the kick is the same throughout the song, you'll need different instruments for the kick and for the hi-hat.

The filter parameters and their automation apply to the whole instrument.

Amazing.

That seems very crude, considering how sophisticated EXS24 is some other

respects. VSamp, for example, allows an automatable filter specification on

a per-table basis, and you can have just one hit in a table, and 8 tables.

I suppose you could always use a Pluggo insert on each out, or some such

not-too-CPU-hungry filter plugin ?

Archived