Is the "toggle Plug-in Delay Compensation" = the l

Patrick Andrew

page 851 in the manual describes a toggle plug-in delay compensation:

"You can also use the Toggle Plug-in Delay Compensation: All/Audio and Instrument Tracks key command to quickly switch compensation between All or only Audio and Software Instrument Tracks. "

Where do I find this toggle button/ switch?

Page 118.

In the modes and functions column.

This is the area where you can customize your transport bar.

That's the "low latency" button - not what the OP asked (two different things).

The PDC menu is in Preferences > Audio > General. The Toggle Plug-in Delay Compensation is a Global key command that you can assign in Preferences > Key Commands.

Page 118.

In the modes and functions column.

This is the area where you can customize your transport bar.

That's the "low latency" button - not what the OP asked (two different things).

The PDC menu is in Preferences > Audio > General. The Toggle Plug-in Delay Compensation is a Global key command that you can assign in Preferences > Key Commands.

LLM PDC

True, but they both do the same thing. The key command method is faster, but I have to rely on the transport bar button because of the mind altering chemicals I experimented with as a teen. I suffer memory loss in addition to constantly changing my key commands... so I, ummm ... shoot! What was I talking about?

No, they do entirely different things!! One bypasses plug-ins, the other delays audio signal streams. The goals are different, and the method to reach those goals different.

True, but they both do the same thing. The key command method is faster, but I have to rely on the transport bar button because of the mind altering chemicals I experimented with as a teen. I suffer memory loss in addition to constantly changing my key commands... so I, ummm ... shoot! What was I talking about?

No, they do entirely different things!! One bypasses plug-ins, the other delays audio signal streams. The goals are different, and the method to reach those goals different.

True, LLM is one function and PDC is another. I was posting for LLM, where as the PDC toggle switches from ALL to audio/inst. I stand corrected.

:shock:

Although they each have a different function, they both deal with latency. LLM will bypass plug ins if the over all latency exceeds the set limit. PDC shifts the recorded material around so that everything matches and is in sync.

In essence, you want to be able to record live with little or no latency (with or without plug ins). Once you have recorded everything you want everything to be in sync when you mix (with or without plug ins).

Many people will jam every effect into the channel and wonder why they have this delay. It would be nice to hear the end result Live as if we were in an Analog world, but we are in a digital domain where latency is caused by processing signals.

• 11 months later...

I'm dealing with some weird UAD-1 midi latency issues. If I have a uad-2 on a bus, or a send, and I record on a MIDI track, then the MIDI actually gets recorded with a delay on it. Even if I bypass the plugs. I was under the impression that If I bypass the plugs, and then set PDC to tracks and instruments, then it would solve it.

-P

I was under the impression that If I bypass the plugs, and then set PDC to tracks and instruments, then it would solve it.

No, that just makes things worse. You want to try Low Latency Mode for what you're doing. This disables the plug and negates its delay reported to the PDC system. Essentially as though the plug isn't there at all.

Now I know what you're going to say, that you want to hear the effect while you're playing. But that just isn't a reality, especially with some of the UAD's big plugs. You can't have your cake and eat it too! :wink:

Now I know what you're going to say, that you want to hear the effect while you're playing. But that just isn't a reality, especially with some of the UAD's big plugs. You can't have your cake and eat it too! :wink:

That’s also the problem I found with UAD / Powercore plug-ins. If you really want hear the effect, then I think the only solution is to find an alternative plug-in that sounds as good (not easy I know) but with less latency. And that will almost definitely mean a native plug-in and not a hardware based DSP plug-in (where latencies are normally doubled because of the round trip).

… or at least that’s how I understand it! :)

I was under the impression that If I bypass the plugs, and then set PDC to tracks and instruments, then it would solve it.

No, that just makes things worse. You want to try Low Latency Mode for what you're doing. This disables the plug and negates its delay reported to the PDC system. Essentially as though the plug isn't there at all.

Hey. Thanks for the replies.

Here's the thing. When I say it records the delay, I mean the midi is physically late in being recorded when you look at the piano roll. Espcially when LLM is on. It was happening in a project yesterday when I posted, however, now I'm trying to duplicate it, and I can't get it to do it.

Weird.

• 3 weeks later...

I've figured out the exact issue.

If I have a multi timberal instrument such as Miroslav, with each instrument going out it's own aux output, and I place a UAD-2 Plugin on ANY of it's outputs, then any any midi data I record to Miroslav gets recorded about a 16th note late when I have low latency mode engaged.. Even if the plug is bypassed. You can see it in the Piano Roll.

However, If I switch Delay Comp to just Audio Software and Instruments, the it gets recorded in time.

I'm sure this has something to do with Logic attempting to compensate for non native plugins.

-PP

Archived