Using Mainstage Live

Thommy P

HI, I use mainstage on tour and am trying to streamline it so that the CPU stays as low as possible. I am using a 2.4 MacBook Pro with 4 GB of ram so should be able to handle quite a lot but the CPU is still peaking. I am using Trilogy (via the wrapper host thing) and Kontakt 3. The problem is that I have to use 3 instances of Kontakt and 3 instances of Trilogy.

Let me give you an example to simplify. On Kontakt I only use the strings but i use them on three different songs and on the second keyboard i play a different set of samples in each song, so i need to have the Kontakt strings plugin open three times in order to use them with a different set of samples on different songs. Does this makes sense. Does anybody know if it is possible to 'copy' a channel strip in mainstage so that it is shared by two different 'sets of instruments'. That way it would reference the other set of samples and only load them once. It is possible on Logic.

This is the same for Trilogy and even more annoying because of the wrapper. using the same bass sounds in three different songs!

thanks anyone who can help

T

• 3 weeks later...
HI, I use mainstage on tour and am trying to streamline it so that the CPU stays as low as possible. I am using a 2.4 MacBook Pro with 4 GB of ram so should be able to handle quite a lot but the CPU is still peaking. I am using Trilogy (via the wrapper host thing) and Kontakt 3. The problem is that I have to use 3 instances of Kontakt and 3 instances of Trilogy.

Let me give you an example to simplify. On Kontakt I only use the strings but i use them on three different songs and on the second keyboard i play a different set of samples in each song, so i need to have the Kontakt strings plugin open three times in order to use them with a different set of samples on different songs. Does this makes sense. Does anybody know if it is possible to 'copy' a channel strip in mainstage so that it is shared by two different 'sets of instruments'. That way it would reference the other set of samples and only load them once. It is possible on Logic.

This is the same for Trilogy and even more annoying because of the wrapper. using the same bass sounds in three different songs!

T

Logic / MainStage + the EXS is ideal since the EXS a) shares samples loaded in multiple instruments which saves RAM and b) can access more than 4GB of RAM.

It is possible for any 3rd party instrument to work this way, but you'd have to contact the manufacturers directly to find out if they do this. As far as I know, MainStage has no way to do this and requires the developers who make the plug-ins manage their own samples.

the wrappers from spectrasonics allow you to run non-Intel code on Intel...

in other words, every instance of Trilogy is running a G5 to Intel emulation layer, in real-time. The wrapper "catches" the output of that process and brings it back into the Intel world.

You'll need to find a replace for Trilogy if you want this to work well and predictably for you (at least that's my opinion).

there's a way to put channel strips at a set or concert level. Search for that, there's a few people getting good results this way, although there are caveats, that's for sure... but... it's how it's done with MainStage as it works today...

Michael

T