Joe Meek Mics

Anyone here had experience with any of the Joe Meek microphones? specifically the JM37 or JM27.

I managed to grab one of each of those mics for a pretty steep discount, just wondering if there's a reason for that (I already knew I wasn't going to get the greatest sound out of them when I purchased them, but I'm a student on a budget)

my 37 is only the cardioid model, but considering i got it pretty cheap, i'm counting myself as lucky

the JM27 is a condenser, so your comparison with the SM57 confuses me a little... Product Link

thanks for your feedback anyway - I can't wait to get to use these (especially the 37 - as that's the one I was really after)

I own two JM27 and it's not a SM57 copy, in fact it's not even close, the jm27 is a condenser, I use it for drum overheads, it's no neumann but I get good results with them, for the price it's really nice.
yeha i'm looking to get a second one when I can afford it, for overheard use - though that may be a little way off, as I don't have the physical space to setup a drumkit in my studio, let alone record one

Just curious...

Why this mic, instead of the many other cheap condenser mics like it?

MXL, or Studio Projects, or whatever...

Joe Meek is dead, and his incredible genius died with him. Other than the name of the company he founded, what does this mic have that others do not?

I own two JM27 and it's not a SM57 copy, in fact it's not even close, the jm27 is a condenser, I use it for drum overheads, it's no neumann but I get good results with them, for the price it's really nice.

Yours is the first good comment I've heard about the 27 ! !

-

I know two users who are far from satisfied with this mic and

liken its FR to that of a ten-year old dynamic. I have the use of

a friend's JM37DP and can vouch for its performance.

Maybe some of the 27's were a bad manufacturing batch, who knows ?

As I understand it, Marcel is right - it's just a company name now and these

things are likely made in China or Armenia or somewhere equally obscure.

-

C