Problem Plosives

Anydraw

Hi,

I'm trying to mix a Female Vocal and Piano Jazz duet. Some of the vocal take has problem plosives and sibilance where some of it doesnt and its spoiling what could be a really nice take.

The recording was done on a AT 4033 through a Joe Meek VC1 addig a little compression to level it out. I have tried eq'ing, tried using parallel compression to sort it out but I'm failing. Any tricks out there?

I'm on Logic 8.0.2

Thank you

Hi

You know what always works for me is to create a new track under your main track. Then put an EQ on the new track and cut the low end off fairly steep. Then I go into my vocal track and cut out the plosives and put them on my new track. They are fairly easy to see in the wave form so you shouldn't have any problems with cutting them out. Adjust your eq filter to tatse. This always works for me. A great life saver many a times.

Hope this helps

Have a good one. :D

Just automate the volume to dip on those plosives, or edit them in the Sample editor, gain them down and if the plosives are bassy try filtering the very low end out.

Are you saying that the Vocal and Piano was recorded at the same time through the one mic? So they're on the same channel in Logic? Because that will really limit your options here.

Another easier way is to use a screen to block the plosives when you're recording vocals. Saves on all the cutting, editing and automating etc., which in my experience never successfully eliminates all the plosives effectively anyway.

They do cost around $80 - $100 from my memory, but they'll save you heaps and heaps of work and frustration.

They do cost around $80 - $100 from my memory, but they'll save you heaps and heaps of work and frustration.

are you talking about these???

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/0/2/6/251026.jpg

at musicians friend the most expensive one is still less than $40 US (I realize that your from AU, but last I checked the exchange rate wasn't too far off), whil most sell for less than $20. See for your self ... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=pop+filter&st=

Anyways, I made 2 for about $12 .... search youtube for DIY Pop Filter and you'll find some instructions.

Some are metal screens and some simply have nylons stretched around a hoop. I've heard that the metal ones allow a truer signal to pass through, but I'd prefer to keep saliva (and moisture from the singers breath) away from my condenser mics.

You know what always works for me is to create a new track under your main track. Then put an EQ on the new track and cut the low end off fairly steep. Then I go into my vocal track and cut out the plosives and put them on my new track. They are fairly easy to see in the wave form so you shouldn't have any problems with cutting them out. Adjust your eq filter to tatse. This always works for me. A great life saver many a times.

That sounds awesome ... I have a few tracks that I recorded before I made my pop filter that I'm gonna try that out on .... thanx for the tip

i got a pop filter from cranbourne music in melbourne for about AU$17 - it doesn;t have a flexible neck unfortunately, but it's still quite useable on a boom mic arm, higher quality ones tend to start at around AU$50-70 - audio/music gear in AU is usually almost twice the price of the same item in the US...

i got a pop filter from cranbourne music in melbourne for about AU$17 - it doesn;t have a flexible neck unfortunately, but it's still quite useable on a boom mic arm, higher quality ones tend to start at around AU$50-70 - audio/music gear in AU is usually almost twice the price of the same item in the US...
wow .... I recommend making your own then.

Thanks for all your replies,

The tracks are recorded completely seperatley and Isolated well! The take is great, I'm just being a perfectionist, I have automated the problem points but the nakedness of the duet performance leaves the volume drops noticable to me..

I have and did use a pop-shield!

I'm really after anyones tricks on smoothing with out over using compression and just general tips on getting an exposed Jazz vocal to sound great.

The tip on moving plosives to a different track was interesting, I'm going to try it out, many thanks for that Chico.

I have automated the problem points but the nakedness of the duet performance leaves the volume drops noticable to me..

Similar to chico's suggestion, but may save you some time cutting it up. .

Duplicate the track, exact same settings. Insert a gain plug and a noise gate on the dup. Solo the dup track and set the noise gate so you only hear the pops. Shouldn't be hard if they're really bad. Name the track Pop.

Open the gain plug and flip the phase so the lonely pops on the dup track cancel the ones on the original in the mix. It will probably be too much reduction so just drop the level of the Pop fader to bring some back.

When you've got it good, print the sum to a new track so you can do your mix automation without worrying about both tracks.