anyone using the realtime comping feature

medusaproductions

I am very interested to know whether anyone has found a good workflow for using the realtime comping feature (must be assigned in the key command list) it appears that this command signals to logic what parts of a take are keeper. But I just can't figure out a work flow for this. Either I am using it wrong. In the manual it is mentioned briefly but isn't fully explained. This would be a huge timesaver for me as I am often working with vocalists that need many takes to nail a part and I'd like to be able to make a comp on the fly.

D

Hmmmm, it's not amazing..... maybe useful sometimes.

Record something, then record over it so a take folder gets created after you record. But while recording press whatever key command you have assigned to that Realtime comp to mark the start point, and again to mark the end.

When you press stop you will be showed a take folder with the most recent recording on top, but there will be marks in it where you press the key twice. You can then easily reselect the other regions or whatever.

Thing is it doesn't seem to work if you do a third recording, it only marks the end point of the section you select. It would make sense for all the recordings to keep their sliced sections separate so you could then actually use them in your comping.

Oh well another HALF RIGHT idea.

i've tried using this key command while recording vocals and it sort of works as in it will designate a particular take as a keeper unfortunately it doesn't seem to properly keep the most recently chosen "keeper" sections and compile them properly. anyone had any success in using this feature, sorry but it would be a HUGE time saver if I can figure out this workflow.

D

i'm confused here.

the purpose is to roll 6 or 10 takes and then choose

what is or is not a keeper.

if you dont listen and compare them how can you possibly

tell which take sucked or which was a keeper.

maybe you aren't aware of how to actually compswipe.

if you do, and are just looking for something more than

it has, or some hidden secret, i appologize.

no i feel ya. but what i hope or envision is the ability to tag phrases within a take that our good or keepers. if i tag the same line in a later take it will show that one. Truthfully for most producers this wouldn't be crucial but, when you have an inconsistent singer and you need to work the s#!+ out of them to get a good line you have to take a lot of takes. My ear is good enough to know when a phrase is money but I often lose track of the best lines. My previous workflow was to color the regions from blue to red (cold to hot) but with quick comping working with 30 takes of a verse. (and yeah i know that's too many) seems a little clunky. Maybe i am being unrealistic, but the fact that it is a key command means someone else to some degree thought it should a live comping feature should be implemented. Actually I would be content with just be allowing the marque tool to color particular parts of good take. am i asking too much.

ok , gotcha.

the next time i comp i'll check it out. i'm good for an occasional

treasure hunt.

but i usually dont roll more than 3 or 4 takes. if they are even

real bad, Melodyne can take it from there.send the band home

and save yourself the hastle of 30 retakes.

there ain't nothing melodyne can't fix,

even MY singing !!!

:lol:

pauper,

i've got melodyne and i love that thing but it can't fix everything. As much as I'd like to say it could. It still doesn't handle bends without artifacts. but damn close. For the music's sake I still try and get as close as humanly possible before I pull out the big guns.

Thanks for feedback.

D

Archived