Changing video location

mcmaklin

1. I have .dv file which is 20GB. I want to stream it from another disk. I would like to tell Logic to take it from another path - don't want to remove it and load video again because the sound is already in sync and video doesn't start from 0. How can I do it?

2.Is there any problem with .dv file? Sometimes video stops I guess it could be a problem for MacBookPro. Maybe it is not good aidea to have such big files in the project?

When I score to video I use Logic's locators combined with the Export Audio to Movie the video command to break large videos into scenes. Logic runs much more efficiently with smaller (in length and size) videos. So I cut up my video into cue lengths with a extra second or two upfront and as much tail as I need to for the the effects to fade away. Then I create name the all the Logic projects and the mixed bounces by their SMPTE start location ie. 03:04:26. (leaving off the hour) so that I can easily sync the the bounced cues back to video if I wish to see the finished show in its final musical form. Having scenes broken into separate cues, by the way, also makes it incredibly easier to reuse projects as other cues (with modifications) and it especially makes beat mapping a breeze in that there isn't a huge amount of material before the actually hit points to worry about!

Hope this helps!

Steve H.

In my experience you should be able to run huge video files and not experience any delays or system bog-down from the QT file, but it all depends on the codec used to encode the QT file. DV seems to work very very nicely. So does Sorenson Video 3.

I don't see why you couldn't make notes (i.e., pencil and paper) of your movie start time, move the file, and re-open it in Logic. If anything changes you have those 3.5 second's worth of notes to refer back to and re-establish your movie start time. Nothing should be out of sync as a result. However, if it is, at least you have your start time written down, and then you can make a small adjustment to the movie start to compensate for any out-of-syncness you might encounter (but I don't think you will).

Each to their own! Separate cues each with its own separate movie

has always provided me with the most flexibility. This especially true for last minute

tempo, key, beat mapping changes which often occur in the heat

of a tight delivery schedule. These changes can ripple through a single large project cue wasting time and energy. Having my movies and their projects broken down into smaller cues also insures me that any file corruption that can happen will be isolated to a single easily redoable file. Smaller cues also make for easier transfers of projects between collaborators.

It works for me....

Steve,

I prefaced my post with "In my experience". Simply offering my perspective, not trying to knock yours.

I also said you "should" be able to run huge files. Again, that's my experience. It may not always be possible, hence "should", rather than "you definitely can...". I've read any number of posts where people claim that large video files bog down their system. All depends on the codec, the particular system, etc. But having worked on multiple systems in different locations for doing scoring, I've never had this problem. Personally. YMMV.

I agree that separate cues are also good, and sometimes this occurs by default if you get your film in chapters or reels.

Hey Ski!

I wasn't trying to come off as over-the -top... sorry if it sounded that way ... sometimes the difficulty of typing on my iPhone makes me sound terse ! :)

Everybody has their own way of working... and Logic let's us all muddle through!

I prefer breaking things down into smaller pieces... just my nature. I think it's a Virgo thing.

I think it's the internet that makes people sound terse sometimes, including myself. <------ the preceding was not meant to sound terse one your mind's ear.

You know what they say, when it comes to the 'net and email, sometimes it's hard to distinguish between sincerity and sarcasm. Similarly (oh no, I think I'm getting philosophical...) same with brief answers, blah blah blah. Anyway, I know we iz forum pals, so no problem. Apologies on this end too.

Ski,

I also work with an entire 90 Minute film in one Logic project. (in DV)

I am curious if you (or anyone else) have tested DV movies of different sizes (with the same codec),and noticed any difference in Logics' performance.

I also run the film from a separate hard drive which is dedicated for that purpose.

I have not noticed a difference between a 30 second and 90 minute DV formated films, but have never actually tested it to check the performance impact.

???

Archived