Quantizing the end of a MIDI Note in Piano Roll?

graysmizzle

Sweet thank you guys for the help!! I got the shift + option method working, but I was unable to find the "Extended Seq Parameters" window.....I'm not sure if I'm going blind or what....Is it in the inspector or where exactly is it? Sorry I just bought logic a week ago

Just a clarification: The 'Q-Length' feature is not designed as described above. The Q-Length feature applies the note length saved with the quantization template to your data.

For the default Logic quantization templates, I believe the note length of all the templates were unfortunately saved as 1/16ths, so this won't work for anything other than 16th note quantization.

For example, you can create a groove template for drums, where all your notes are quantized time-wise to 1/16ths and all your notes are 10 ticks long. Then whenever you choose that quantization template to quantize drums, you can also choose the 'q-length' which will give all your notes a length of 10 ticks.

Q-velocity also works in a similar way. You can choose to apply the velocity of your quantization template to your current region. Great for high-hats!

• 2 months later...

I've just found another way too,

In the piano roll, go to functions, transform and select quantize note length.

Select what you want, make sure apply operations to selected events is selected and the right value of qua&min is shown and click operate. It's a bit long winded but it works for quantizing notes of different lengths (in pro 7).

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting a post here (necroposting!):

What if I just want to quantize the beginning of a note but want the end position to stay where it is?

Also, I played around with quantize in the transform window but couldn't for the life of me make it work.

I put position on quantize, then 1/16th and then selected everything in the region and hit operate only and nothing.

necroposting -- LOLOLOL!!!

OK... Here's a method I use for quantizing the beginnings of notes (without affecting their end positions) and also for quantizing the end of notes (without affecting their start positions).

Here we see two notes played waaaaaay before the downbeat (it's an extreme example, I know, but it'll give you the idea...). I want to quantize them to the downbeat of bar 91.

1• set the playhead for where you want the quantizing to occur (either at the beginning or the end of your notes, depending on what you're trying to achieve). In this example I'm going to quantize these notes to the downbeat of bar 91, so I've positioned the playhead at 91 and selected the notes that I want to quantize:

http://www.score2picture.com/logicpix/split1.jpg

2• use the "split at playhead" function (I use this so often that I have a key command for it). This splits the notes into a "remainder" (to the left of the playhead) and the newly quantized notes to the right of the playhead.

http://www.score2picture.com/logicpix/split2.jpg

3• now that you've split those notes in two, select the remainders...

http://www.score2picture.com/logicpix/split3.jpg

4• ...and delete them. Voila!

http://www.score2picture.com/logicpix/split4.jpg

The same operation can be used for quantizing the ends of notes (per the OP's question). Here, after you split the notes, you'd simply delete the remainders that appear after the playhead.

Wow ski,

That is a great idea. A little tedious but it will work well. I tried a bunch of things in the transform window, but as always it gives, shall I say, unexpected results. I love the transform window but its logic is a little different than mine.

It is a shame that with Logic's midi editing so vaunted, a program like LIVE will allow you to individually quantize the beginning and end of a note. This is very much more detail oriented I think.

I guess what I mean is that if I want the beginning of all notes in a 2 bar region quantized to 1/16th notes, but I want the ends of the notes to be where they are because a few notes at the end of each measure are legato (doesn't matter exactly where the end is so long as it overlaps) this would be slightly tedious.

I know I could force note legato after a real 16th note quantize, but the way LIVE handles this is clearly superior.

I will be using your technique though. Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

There is a handy key command for doing this too.

Follow Ski's example, but after selecting the notes, press CMD-[ (instead of delete).

If the key command is not assigned by default, search for "Set Region/Event/Marquee Start to Playhead". The key command for setting the end to playhead is CMD-].

As the name suggests, this command is also useful for resizing regions and the Marquee.

Tom

• 3 months later...
You could also try the Functions menu>Transform>Quantize Note Length. This doesn't actually quantize the note length, but the note end position.

ETA: ...which appears to be what Bow Rekk just wrote. :?

when I click that, it doesn't do anything at all after i highlight my midi notes i wish to transform.

so far the only thing that has worked for me personally is what lagerfeldt has suggested.

@ Tom (nosebagger)

There is a handy key command for doing this too.

Follow Ski's example, but after selecting the notes, press CMD-[ (instead of delete).

If the key command is not assigned by default, search for "Set Region/Event/Marquee Start to Playhead". The key command for setting the end to playhead is CMD-].

As the name suggests, this command is also useful for resizing regions and the Marquee.

Tom

Wow, talk about a late reply on my part, but I just read your post, Tom. I wasn't aware of that function before. Thanks a TON for bringing it to my (our) attention. Fantastic!!!

Ski's method is definitely awesome. I use it to cut stuff up all the time. But for specifically quantizing the end of MIDI notes you can use the transform window "Quantize note lengths".

Works like a charm and you can do it as batch processing too. That way you don't have to put your playhead in the spot you want your edits to fall for every edit. I find that to be the only tedious thing about the cut at playhead method.

Trick with the transform route is that you need to know what values equal 1/16, 1/8, etc...So here is a little note length quick start guide.

1/16 = . . 1 0

1/8 = . . 2 0

1/4 = . 1 0 0

1/2 = . 2 0 0

1/1 = 1 0 0 0

See a pattern there? Each place (where each period lies) has 4 values, 1 through 4 (except the far right digit which goes to 240). Double the value of a place and you double the length of your note.

Quantize note length works with those place values equaling those note values. It's a bit tedious and leaves much to hope for, but if you use Logic a lot it's worth knowing.

zosoaudo007, thanks for the kind words about my method. But I think that the method Tom described (set region/event/marquis start or end) is going to be my go-to way of working from now on.

At this point, the only advantage I see with my method is that you can retain the "remainder" (as I described it) for purposes of keeping a reminder of where the notes your editing originally started (or ended). It's kind of like a unofficial form of UNDO in case you're not sure if your note length edits are going to work... Here's the idea: Use my method to quantize or shorten notes. Instead of discarding the remainders, mute them. Now, even if you've done a ton of editing after you made those changes (such that those edits are lost in the undo history) you can get back your original notes' starting (or ending) position by unmuting the remainders and gluing them back to the notes they came from originally.

Anyway, thanks to you for the reminder about the power of the Transform window. I rarely use it, though I'll have another look at using it for truncating note lengths now that you've posted about it.