Duplicating an instrument

apple

Hello. I would like to know how to properly duplicate an instrument so that when I duplicate it, (a) it retains the SAME plugins/effects I have assigned to it as the original, BUT (b) I can add automation to the duplicated instrument that WILL NOT automatically add itself to the original instrument.

I'm finding that whenever I hold down ALT/OPTION and drag an instrument to duplicate it, it does neither (a) or (b) above. i.e. When I duplicate it this way (using ALT/OPTION while dragging), the new instrument is completely tied to the original as far as plugins, effects and automation is concerned. i.e. Whatever I do to one instrument, it gets applied to the other too.

I'm obviously duplicating the wrong way. Where am I going wrong and what is the correct way I need to duplicate an existing instrument but not have it "associated" with the original?

Create a new Aux Channel. Turn that into an instrument. THEN Command - Option drag the plugs.

I'm not sure why you're creating the aux first. Why not just create a new Instrument track?

Better yet, use the New Track with Duplicate Setting key command.

Create a new Aux Channel. Turn that into an instrument. THEN Command - Option drag the plugs.

I'm not sure why you're creating the aux first. Why not just create a new Instrument track?

Better yet, use the New Track with Duplicate Setting key command.

exactly what i wanted to say?

weeddigger if your "second" track changed with first one you didnt duplicate it, you created an "alias", another strip of the SAME object

Nice!

And yeah, I'm also known as

Jonnie.

But all on the same channel, not even an aux.

:arrow:

:roll:

Yeah...

Work sucks.

Lunch is better.

This reply makes me three minutes late back, but eh... I shouldn't be timed to begin with.

Off first topic now, yeah, so...

:arrow: