Orchestration/Instrumentation/Notation Discussions?

ski

Ski, thanks for the link.

The finale part has better spacing within the bar, but I noticed it forgot the triplet symbols.

Can Sibelius or finale use AU instruments for sound generation?

Could one make a template, with say VSL special edition, in order to hear the orchestration, as well as for proof reading the parts?

I must play all of my mock-ups for the director, so it must sound good before I am allowed to record anything.

This means working in Logic, then finding the most efficient way to notate the parts which will be replaced by real players.

I suspect that people who primarily work as orchestrators start and end in a notation program.

Sort of a rambling post here; just looking for that magic work method!

Re the triplet symbols, yeah, they're missing, but then again I didn't have the faintest idea what I was doing with either PDFtoMusic or Finale when I made that. All I did was save a PDF of my Logic score. Then I opened it in PDFtoMusic. It made an XML file. I opened that in Finale and it looked like what you see. So if that means that PDFtoMusic will take my Logic work and get 90% of it in Finale, I'd be very very happy. All it would take is some additional tweaking in Finale.

I'm playing around with Finale right now (the demo). God help me if I dont hate it already. But I'm going to try and press on... Wish me luck and strength!

EDIT: Orsanct answered your question about this before my post posted:

As to your other question regarding VSL, etc., I'm not 100% sure. I see that in Finale there's IAC connectivity, so that means you can (at the very least) have Finale communicate with the outside world. But something tells me that you'll want to continue to do your mockups in Logic and use Finale (or Sibelius) just for score prep. But I'm thinking that how much you need to go outside Logic will depend on the complexity of your music.

Well, that's me rambling too! Back to the Finale tutorial video...

@ Jay -- Yeah, I think it's perfect too. Reflects exactly my composer's intentions. I'll explain more shortly.

@ Orsanct -- In close collaboration with the company that publishes Finale, and the U.S. Board of Tourism, I've developed a new kind of notation. A slight departure from Western Notation, I call this Go West!(ern) Notation, as the shapes are meant to evoke the sand dunes, mesas, and buttes of the great deserts of Nevada, Utah, and New Mexico. Imagine Copland's works transcribed into my notation. That's right! You'd simply have to imagine them, not even bother to play them! Consider the amount of practicing time that everyone will save, providing musicians with ample time to find real jobs that pay benefits and have retirement plans.

The 'billionth notes', as you called them, are only a theoretical subset of my notation, though the are included amongst the more staple 16,384th and 1024th notes I've recently filed a patent claim for. To put it in simpler terms, I've applied for a patent for all rhythmic values faster than 128th notes, all natural multiples of powers of 2. Say goodbye to ambiguous directions in contemporary music which indicate "as fast as possible". Now such gestures can be excruciatingly and exquisitely notated with ease as a series of 512th notes, 2048th notes, or for that fast gallop, a pattern of 4096th's followed by two 8192th's! The possibilities for precisely notating very fast music are overwhelming. These are exciting times!

And to say the least, Logic has a long way to go in catching up with what I've got going with Finale. Cupertino? Wake up! The age of nano-rhythms is here! And here to stay, by golly...

So far the only people that have balked at adopting my new notation are music academics in England. They are, apparently, a wee bit too attached to their system of wordy quavers, such as the oft-razzed (and slow) hemisemidemiquaver. I have suggested that they could keep their age-old note name scheme, but so far outrightly refused to endorse my suggestion of "hemihemihemisemidemisemidemidemidemisemidemisemisemisemisemiquaver" and such like. But I like to look on the bright side, which you can almost see through the beams on the second staff of the score above.

• 1 month later...

Hey,

Just got on to this thread. I'm a composer, arranger and orchestrator in Vancouver. I am very interested in all thing orchestral (as well as the other things you mentioned waaaaaay back at the beginning of this thread). So let me know what else is going on in people's minds about these subjects...

Sometimes discussing the technology gets out in front of the music...

Sometimes discussing the technology gets out in front of the music...

Hi Neilmusic,

Welcome to the forum! I hear ya re the quote above. But, feel free to start any topic you like, as I'm still game to see threads relevant to all things orchestral and notational.

Cheers!

Ski

Just thought I'd weigh in with all the comments about Finale and orchestrating. I have been using FInale since 1991, and I still hate it. It's so bulky, and for me (working as a composer of art music) there are often things I think of doing, that it is unable to notate - different simultaneous streams of music with different tempi and metre, for example. But working as an orchestrator of commercial music, it's the best thing to use because everyone's using it, and it works well for that genre. There is another, little-known music notation program, developed by Keith Hamel, brainiac composer/computer expert of the University of British Columbia. It's called Notability, and it's soooooo much more user friendly than Finale or Sibelius. I managed to get a NEA grant to learn how to use it (and Logic) and went from zero to composing a piece for choir and orchestra, and laying out and printing all the parts, in just 6 weeks.

Here's the link:

http://debussy.music.ubc.ca/NoteAbility/NAwelcome.html

The Tech Support is Keith himself, and he always gets back to you. It can do some amazing stuff including (although I'm not sure how you would actually use this) the ability to play any audio file format in the middle of a score! Pretty trippy stuff. It looks very different from other notation programs at first glance, but worth checking out. It's priced right, too.

Someone earlier on was wanting more information about how orchestrators work. I can say that I usually get a pdf and a Logic file from the composer, I listen to the audio file of the cue, then save the tracks as MIDI files and bring them into Finale to clean up. It seems like a large workaround - I too would like to see Logic's notation improve to be able to all this work in one piece of software...