Sluggish video...and suggestions

logicscott

Finally upgraded to 8.0.2. After ripping a QT movie to score to...I'm finding that Logic 8 can barely function while video is playing...

Can anyone give me any suggestions that will enable me to 'speed things up a bit'

Logic Pro 8.0.2/G5dual2.7/4Gb Ram

What do you mean by "ripping"? Did the editor not supply you with a QT movie?

Logic likes to see DV and various other formats, but it really doesn't deal well (in my experience) with .mp4's.

Also, you should be running your video file from a separate HD (not your system or audio drives).

Hey Ski, thanks for the reply,

I rip a QT mp4 from the clients DVD using Handbrake (sometimes the editors give me a DVD even when I ask for QT ;)javascript:emoticon(':?'). I've done this for the past 2 years and it's always worked flawlessly with L7.

OK, that's good to know that it works well for you (note to self re ripping with handbrake)...

Then I think your problem is the .mp4 format. It requires a shitload* of processing power to decode that. If you can rip to DV it would be mucho better. That, and having it play back from a separate drive.

* = technical term