Shure 55?

Yo! :o

I am heading off to uni soon and want to be sure i have enough adequate gear so i can work at my own faster pace at uni (degree in sound engineering and music production :wink:).

I already have a Shure 55 (series 2) which i find has a good quality for groups of horns and group vocals etc. However i have never intensively tested it on vocals as i have had access to either an akg 414 or a sennheisser U87.

My question is could i rely on this mic for recording a wide styles of vocals?

Or would i be limiting my clients?

Secondly the mics in my budget for a new vocal mic fall between the akg c4000 or the Shure sm7, but i think i favor the c4000 as it has switchable polar patterns and a wider frequency response, whilst the Shure sm7 has a very similar frequency curve to the sm55 as it is, and has an equally shorter range. My other question is would it be worth buying the C4000 solely for the ask of vocals?

thanks for your advice/experience.

yeh the sm7b looks like an industry standard but it has very similar properties so the Shure 55 as it is, although they must have some diferences the frequency is very similiar.

Is i worth getting a sm7b if i have the 55? and is it used for vocals to a successful and professional degree?

Why don't you try a condenser mic? All the models you mentioned are dynamic, condenser mics get more detail out of vocals. Try the Shure KSM27, it's cheaper than those on your list and it sounds like it's twice the price. We use it in the studio for lots of things but it sounds the best on vocals of any kind.