Trilogy and Leopard (Not intel mac!)

kwackman

Hi,

I'm using a G5 powermac- not an intel.

I was happily running Trilogy on Tiger.

I changed to Leopard, and Trilogy now fails AU manager.

I know intels have to use a wrapper, but G5s were still able to run the AU.

But, and this is only my experience, Trilogy and Leopard don't seem to get on together.

My fault for upgrading a stable system!

There were changes concerning AU validation in Leopard, the best is to contact the manufacturer and demand an AU plugin that conforms to the stricter rules.

Thanks for the info.

As Spectronics haven't really solved the issue of Intel macs yet, I don't hold much hope of them fixing this either.

There were changes concerning AU validation in Leopard, the best is to contact the manufacturer and demand an AU plugin that conforms to the stricter rules.

Thanks for the info.

As Spectronics haven't really solved the issue of Intel macs yet, I don't hold much hope of them fixing this either.

They better fix the issues as Intel Macs/Leopard is becoming the standard in studios.

Agreed!

From what I've read, they've done a "wrapper" fix for the Intel Macs, which by most accounts does a big CPU hit. It seems they are dropping Trilogy and another instrument (can't remember the name) for a new one, which is a shame as I quite like Trilogy!

I did take the advice from your first post, and have emailed them about this.

I'l post any response here.

Thanks.

Hi..It isn't going to happen for intels ever..Spectrasonics has now created it's own engine and is releasing Omnisphere in Sept. Supposedly..Your 2 best bets are to contact Spectrasonic directly or go here http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2 . And post your problem..It is a much better site for an answer due to ( supposededly) Eric P. the creator of the Spectrasonics products frequents and answers very often..

I use Omnisphere,or rather did til I got an intel..Then the wrapper happened, but it was not best for were I run my buffer size in any of my programs..So again the link above is perhaps a much better place to go for an answer..JON

To their credit, Spectronics support replied promptly to my email.

The body of the reply was

"Well, you can check them in the AU manager in Logic's preference, and let it generate a crash report.

Keep checking it until it sticks, and then when it does click Done.

You'll then see the plugs under the (Incompatible) category.

The future of Trilogy will be based on the STEAM engine, and more details regarding it will arrive around the time Omnisphere is released."

I'm assuming the last sentence means Trilogy has a future!

Hi Jon,

Well it seems to work.

I ran the Audio Unit manager, and clicked the "Logic" box for Trilogy, even though it said it had failed.

I rescanned several times, as I wasn't sure what 'until it sticks" meant in the email from Spectronics, but it always failed.

Anyway, I ticked the Logic box for Trilogy in Audio Unit Manager then clicked done.

When I boot up logic it warns of an incompatible AU, and I click on ignore.

To select it as an instrument in Logic, I go down to the AU instruments menu and there's a new catagory "Incompatible"! Trilogy lives in there.

The CPU spiked when it loaded, and for when I clicked on it to listen to a note- then everything seemed to be normal.

So, for now, it looks like Trilogy is working. Personally I don't like having "warning - incompatible" messages coming at me, but I'll live with it if that's what I have to do to get it to work.

With hindsight, I wouldn't have upgraded to 10.5 if I'd known this. Tiger was working great. I thought I'd researched most of the 10.4 to 10.5 problems, but didn't see this one anywhere.

ya, I recently got surprised by this too. I asked them if they were ever going to supply a fix for it (and Atmosphere too) and their response was "no,but hey, those plugins are 8 years old". To a degree I understand, but I am reticent about having to buy their new products that will be replacing these. This just leaves a bad taste in my mouth....

For now I've disabled them and using other plugs instead - weaning myself!

I don't think Spectrasonics would have told something that would have an ill effect on your system.. What little I know leans towards Eric and the others at Spectrasonics are heavy Mac users..Also this has been an issue with quite a few plugins in the past besides Spectrasonic stuff...It seems that your best bet would be sure to get a response from the specific Co. that manufactures the software themselves as a cautionary step before doing this sort of thing in general..

Glad to hear you are up and at it again..And thanks for responding with your findings...Much appreciated...JON

Also as an aside...The engines for Atmo. and Trilogy were made out of house by another Co. They no longer supported their products so Spectrasonics has now developed their own engines for the up and coming Omnisphere so that they have full control and no longer have to worry a company will bail on them as the previous one did..You could call this a trickle down effect that affects many Mac users in a negative way.. But not really the fault of Spectrasonics..

Archived