TOOLBOX: Inconsistent Tool Assignments !!

ski

In Logic 8 I thought to try getting used to calling up the toolbox with a key command (in my case, V, very con-V-nient). I thought, "hey, this is cool, I hit "V", then another key, and I can select new tools very quickly. Saves on key command assignments for separate tools! I just have to learn the various default assignments for each tool."

Well, it's not quite that simple, innit? Turns out there's tremendous inconsistency in the default keys assigned for the toolbox associated with each bloody different window! Two examples...

QUANTIZE TOOL

SCORE = Q

PIANO ROLL = 8

EVENT = non existent!!

TEMPO WINDOW = non existent!!

I'd love to know why the quantize tool can't appear in the latter two tool menus. I'm baffled...

But the best one of all is with respect to the:

MUTE TOOL

SCORE = 9

PIANO ROLL = 7

ARRANGE = 8

EVENT = 6

I feel like someone's playing a cruel joke here...

"Thanks for letting me vent, Honey..."

:roll: :evil:

FWIW, the KC differences between L7 and L8 make no sense to me either.

When I get a bit of time (should be this decade), I'm gonna do my best to build a logical (LOL), comprehensive KC set for L8, along the lines of the PT commands, because I'm a heavy PT user. If you know of a way I could post this file, I would be happy to share it with everybody.

Hell, If you know of a way to share KC sets, maybe a sticky (with instructions on posting) where everybody could post sets for their various workflows would be cool.

I'm lazy, so if this already exists, you can just take me out back and put one in the back of my head...

Hey Marcel,

BTW, my workaround for what I posted about is, well, it's not really a workaround... it's just to avoid that feature as a convenient way to select tools and free up key command space. I'll just stick with the key commands I've used for years and call it a day. Too bad, really.

OK, to your post... the way to share L7 key command sets is to post your Logic preferences. (KC's are embedded in the prefs file). So people can import your KC's from within L7's key commands window, but they can't export their own for safekeeping, at least not directly... What they can do is make a backup of their existing prefs before they import yours.

In L8, you can import and export KC sets easily from within the KC window (see the options menu). This is a nice touch. Long time in coming, but a nice touch.

FWIW, double check the tips/tricks section of the forum to see if anyone's done a PT key command thing yet. But if not, I'm sure lots of people would appreciate having a PT key command "clone" set.

When I get a bit of time (should be this decade), I'm gonna do my best to build a logical (LOL), comprehensive KC set for L8, along the lines of the PT commands, because I'm a heavy PT user.

This is something I've been poking at for a while, marcel. We should collaborate on this. Back in the Emagic days, Logic shipped with an optional PT key command set. I'd been using a modified version of that with LP7, but haven't done anything with LP8 yet.

Note that there is a new Export Key Command option. So KC's are saved in their own little .logikcs file in the app support folders. These are the files you can share now.

I'll try transferring the old set into Logic 8 and we'll go from there, eh?