Logic pro 8 and Logic Express 8 - book

VideoGuy

Hello David,

I am a recent re-convert to Logic Pro 8. By that I mean I used Logic from version 2.5 until I moved to Digital Performer at version 5 of Logic. I was waiting for this type of change to Logic and Apple's pricing of $500 is less than I have already spent on different Logic version upgrades. The one thing missing in Logic was INSTRUCTION. Logic was like a secret society with certain people only knowing the "handshakes".

I am so happy that someone like Apple took Logic into he next century and incorporated some of it's GarageBand technology into Super GarageBand!!

That is what Logic Express really is.

I am posting today to mention a couple of issues I am having using the book with Logic Pro 8.02. I checked Peachpit Press for errata, first.

My issue in Chapter 1 was on page 29 step 8 where you issue a repeat regions set to 2. In my experience the two regions on two different tracks were copied twice but in adjacent bars, not separated by a bar each as illustrated.

I tried this step several times with the same results and finally just drag-copied those regions twice per track.

In Chapter 2 -page 61 step 3 and continuing on using the Guitar Tuner. Choose 03 Acoustic Guitar>Bright Acoustic. The text goes on to say The bright Acoustic channel strip opens! When I click on the bright Acoustic loop, It just plays in the Library.

I am not sure what action is supposed to open the Channel strip so I can access the Tuner?

As you can see, I am just starting to go through this book and so far it is a very comprehensive view of someone well versed in using Logic Pro 8.

I hope you don't think that these comments are a criticism of the book, only questions. Thank You very much for this web site and answering these questions, as I am sure there will be others.

Sincerely

John Foley

I tried your first question and the only way it came out as in the book if the Repeat Adjustment was set back to Auto, so you're right when set to Bar it will copy right next to it.

On your second question, when you click on the Bright Acoustic sound, on the far left of the Arrange window in the Channel Strip appears that setting with the named plugins including the tuner that's bypassed. It does not open like a new window, it just appears, so it's not wrong, just a matter of interpretation.

In Chapter 2 -page 61 step 3 and continuing on using the Guitar Tuner. Choose 03 Acoustic Guitar>Bright Acoustic. The text goes on to say The bright Acoustic channel strip opens! When I click on the bright Acoustic loop, It just plays in the Library.

If you're playing loops, you're looking at the Loop Browser, not the Library. Read step 3 on page 60: "In the Library tab, choose 03 Acoustic Guitar > Bright Acoustic".