DIY External HD's and Heat Issues

I read that a lot of you guys like the value of buying firewire enclosures and assembling your own external HD's.

Do you ever experience heat issues?

How are they different than buying the assembled ones with the power cord and fan built in?

I save much more than just a couple of bucks building my own drives. I choose fanless aluminum enclosures that don't have any heat issues, and are totally silent (it's just a box with a chipset in it). I can swap my own drives, put them inside a machine, in an external box, etc.

The reasons I like to build my own HDs are:

1) Reliability: in my experience the drives I build myself are more reliable than Glyph drives, LaCie drives, etc..

2) Flexibility: I can swap the drives how I want, choose the exact drive model I want, etc..

3) Price: I can build a drive for much less than a Glyph, or even a LaCie.

Seagate Barracudas are a great choice. But I don't mind Hitachi, or Western Digital.

As for the enclosures, I don't even worry about brand, I just look at the way it's built. I like fanless enclosures, where the case is the heat sink that dissipates the hard drive's heat. That means your external hard drive should have some air flow around it, so don't stack them up - or they'll die (but so do some fan-equipped enclosures anyway).