recommend me preamps for Apogee Ensemble

Hi guys

Recommend me an 8 channel ADAT preamp for my Apogee Ensemble (no budget)

and also recommend two different two analog channel preamps for the 4 analog ins on the Ensemble, or a single 4 channel analog preamp.

I plan using all 16 preamps for drums, bass, guitar and vocals.

I have no idea about ADAT-out preamps. If I were you and I truly had no budget, I would buy an Apogee Rosetta 800 to give you 8 more analogue I/O's (actually better than the Ensemble). Then I would buy 3 API 3124+ boxes, each is 4 312 preamps in a single rack space.

12 channel Apogee and API front end. For all-around recording, there is nothing better, IMHO.

I have no idea about ADAT-out preamps. If I were you and I truly had no budget, I would buy an Apogee Rosetta 800 to give you 8 more analogue I/O's (actually better than the Ensemble). Then I would buy 3 API 3124+ boxes, each is 4 312 preamps in a single rack space.

12 channel Apogee and API front end. For all-around recording, there is nothing better, IMHO.

True.

Drums sounds beautiful in the APIs.

True.

Drums sounds beautiful in the APIs.

And all those other, secondary things you might want to record to go around the drums do too...

LOL

if you really have no budget, grace designs makes about the only 8 ch adat out mic pre thats really high quality. All of the other options for pres with built in adat are more like an 8 ch adat interface with some pres strapped on the front. The grace is a grace design preamp x8 with an adat output. If you get the grace, try a couple of la chapelle 2 channel pres. The grace are super clean and the la chapelle are tube. They pair up nicely.

API sounds great. Fairly clean but with just the right coloration.

Personally I'm a big fan of Great River (which are more saturated). Available as the MP2-NV stereo version or in lunch box format.

http://www.greatriverelectronics.com/

I too love my Great River MP2-NVs, and you're right about the different quality (slower slew rate, more 'iron'). I also use the pre's in my board, a Soundcraft Delta, which are transformerless and have been modded with video op-amps to provide a very 'clean' (fast slewing) sound. I have a friend who has the True Systems Precision 8 pre's, which are built along these lines, and he swears by them...

However, I think the 312s/512s represent a nice all-around compromise between 'accurate' and 'character'. There's nothing you can't do well with these pre's if you know how to use them. The 3124 is very good value for money, IMO.

I'm going to go with the API 3124+ for the 4 analog inputs of the Ensemble.

Which Grade Design are you talking about? I can't find any with ADAT.

Get proper standalone converters and separate preamps instead of an all-in-one box. You won't regret it.

I'm going to go with the API 3124+ for the 4 analog inputs of the Ensemble.

Which Grade Design are you talking about? I can't find any with ADAT.

Get proper standalone converters and separate preamps instead of an all-in-one box. You won't regret it.

So a rig like:

Apogee AD-16x + Apogee DA-16x + 16 individual preamps?

Thats what I'll be getting in the future.

I'm still kind of a noob at recording. How exactly would I connect a headphone to the Symphony Rig?

Using one output of the DA-16x into a headphone amp like the Presonus HP4? Is that all there is too it? How would I configure Logic to send a main headphone mix to that certain output?

Is it simple?

Or you could do what I did.... Start with an Ensemble and a 3124+. Later sell the Ensemble and go with an AD-16x and a Mini-DAC running Symphony. Keep the 3124+ and pick up some other 3124+'s as money permits. The Mini-DAC (running optical from the AD-16x in advanced routing mode) is perfect for a stereo mix for your monitors and headphones. You get a physical volume control and two separate outputs for headphones, so a second one can be sent to a headphone mixer for the performers, etc.... For what I do it is the perfect modular front end, I could not be any happier with the way it performs and sounds.