Panning bass

twjewett

Hi. I'm just working on my bands mix at the moment. The bass was sounding a bit lifeless so I thought i'd give it the most subtle double track with it panned either side at -40 and +40. It sounds really good. I know bass needs power from both speakers when listening in stereo but surely the fact i've panned the bass either side and reduced the volume of both tracks it should be alright? I could be completely wrong here but it seems to make sense in my head. Look forward to hearing from people.

Thanks, Thomas

Hi. I'm just working on my bands mix at the moment. The bass was sounding a bit lifeless so I thought i'd give it the most subtle double track with it panned either side at -40 and +40. It sounds really good. I know bass needs power from both speakers when listening in stereo but surely the fact i've panned the bass either side and reduced the volume of both tracks it should be alright? I could be completely wrong here but it seems to make sense in my head. Look forward to hearing from people.

Thanks, Thomas

You pan Law is in effect.

BTW, for those of you interested, you can do a mouse roll over on the 'Pan Law' and 'Playback Pre-roll' to see what they mean. Interesting about the PDC.

1433754576_Picture2.png.55b3e0d479fccc72abdbebe554c6992c.png

If you copied the same audio take twice, one on a track panned hard left and one on a track panned right, and they are synchronized in time, then...

You are doing EXACTLY the same thing as having the one track panned in the middle. Any apparent change in sound is either due to a volume difference (see Pan Law) or is an illusion due to the power of suggestion.

What you describe does not change the stereo image or tonality at all - only volume. If you used two DIFFERENT takes, it would - but not necessarily in a good way for bass, in my opinion. It sounds better to me on instruments like guitar or keyboards, or backing vocals.

perhaps you should just try some chorus...

also, keep in mind that with vinyl it's a bad idea to pan bass if you're going for that format as it makes it difficult to cut and can cause skips.

I am not sure what your 'theory' is, but Logic uses different Pan Laws and how you mix can be affected.

In this picture/example ( LP7 ), I used the EXS upright jazz bass, recorded a scale and then changes the bass to a test tone oscillator.

There are many things going on including frequency cancellation and level changes. When I pan, I hear a difference in the stereo field that is different than both at dead center.

I don't want to start a can of worms with Pan Law and the laws of the universe because this has been discussed in a separate thread.

So..... If it sounds good to you then nothing else matters (till someone else hears it).

What I can recommend is that you read up on Pan Law and play with some examples to see what does what, then draw your own conclusions as to what you want to use.

Also instead of panning, you could use a Sample delay insert ( in a stereo set up ) and set the left or right delay to give it a spacious sound.

Pan.lso.zip

well... the basic idea you had was not bad... you want more bass, so you double it...

in theory. but you might be introducing phase problems because you didn't pan it hard left and right, so there is an overlap of twice the same signal in the center... I wouldn't do that!

The bass register is the place you want DEFINITION, even if you add a chorus or some effects, that's a register that's hard to maintain tight.

So if you wanted to go to the end of your idea you'd have to alter one side of the hard panned bass track to make an audible change, to add that stereo, otherwise you would just complicate your life doubling a track just to, at the end, bring the faders down!

there will be no phase problems...

but you will achieve the same if you just boost the volume :)

another thing is NO MID and hard l/r.. but thats something else

I'm mostly worried about the crossovers and what they do with low-end stereo signals.

Anyway, any tinkering with bass usually has issues with club systems, best to keep it simple and stupid.

Archived