Logic pro 8 simple question inserts "pre" mode

Lowpez

sorryif it's too simple but i can't find it. Where do I set a compressor (UAD) in Pre mode to record the voice compressed or limited?

will it create latency? is there any trick to here the voice withought latency while recording?

Thanx a lot for your help

Nacho

Hi Nacho, any good reason you'd want to compress the signal digitally before recording? You usually wouldn't do that: either you compress the signal in the analog realm (with an analog compressor) before it hits the A/D, or you just place the digital plug-in on the channel strip so you can hear it while recording and playback, but also have the flexibility to further change the settings while mixing.

Compressing the signal digitally before recording would offer you none of the flexibility of the second solution, with none of the advantages of the first one (unless you consider not being able to further tweak the compressor's settings during mix an advantage - and another slight advantage would be that you no longer need CPU resources to compress the signal upon playback, but that's usually not an issue).

Hi David, I think about two different possibilities (I didn't try yet a lot to compare results):

1- The singer/speaker does not have a lot of experience and it's dinamic is too exagerate (shouts and get close to the mic) so i think it would be good to limit the signal a bit to not get peaks.

2 When i can not get a good level or to reforce the preamps of the soundcard.

(In any case the compression or limiting should be always very soft to further compress dependin on the mix caracteristics).

I thought that getting good plugins such as Universal Audio UAD you don't use power from the computer (they are external dsp card) and they could kind of replace an external analog compressor (usually much more expensive). I read all over that most of studios record voices and acoustic instruments with analog hardware to warm and power the signal, is there no soft comparable to those?

I would like where to set the compressor insert in pre mode to try even will take care about your advises

Thanx a lot for your opinions

This has been debated to death, so you may want to try a search on those topics, but basically, the only way you'll be able to change the dynamic before the recording is with an analog processor, before the A/D conversion.

If you're processing the audio with a digital processor, the results will be exactly the same (bit identical) whether you process before or after recording.

If your singer has a wide dynamic range, just turn the gain down on the mic preamp so he doesn't clip, then compress on the channel strip.

I thought that getting good plugins such as Universal Audio UAD you don't use power from the computer (they are external dsp card) and they could kind of replace an external analog compressor (usually much more expensive).

They won't as far as reducing the dynamics to avoid clipping. It doesn't matter which CPU or DSP is processing the signal, if the signal was already converted to A/D, then if it was clipped, it's too late, and compressing in digital before or after recording will not magically get rid of those clippings.

I read all over that most of studios record voices and acoustic instruments with analog hardware to warm and power the signal, is there no soft comparable to those?

There is, and to use them you simply record your vocals without clipping (turn down the gain) and place the plug-in on the channel strip so you can still tweak it during playback.

Archived