Sampling External Audio Hardware

ScrewJeffOwens

My first hurdle seems nearing passed, so onto my next one. I would like to take the sounds from my Korg EMX-1 and sample them for usage in a program like Ultrabeat (or maybe something else in Logic Pro if anyone has suggestions), so that I may, essentially, paste them onto the MIDI maps I will have made. What is the simplest, good method of doing this so that I may continue to use these sounds in future songs?

I would like to take the sounds from my Korg EMX-1 and sample them for usage in a program like Ultrabeat (or maybe something else in Logic Pro if anyone has suggestions),

Hey Screwj,

Set up a MIDI sequence that plays a consecutive group of sounds that you want from the EMX. Record the sounds to an audio track. You'll have one big region. Select Audio->Strip Silence to break up the sounds into separate regions. You can further edit the region range in the Sample Editor with greater accuracy if you like.

Open up an EXS24 and select Edit. Select all the regions in the Bin and drag them into the Zone area of the EXS editor. The dialog will ask what note you want the multiple samples to start with. That's it. Save your new instrument.

If you want to use one of these regions as an Ultrabeat sample, load up Ultrabeat and load the Drag & Drop Samples preset. Select the region in Arrange and choose Audio->Convert Region to New Audio File. From the Finder, drag the new file into the sample load area of oscillator 3.

That's the basics. Of course these are simplistic instruments, but you can then take them as far as you want to. Have fun!

I seem to be getting there. The samples I am using (I converted the regions to new audio files) seem to not be making any noise at all. Any idea?

EDIT: It looks like the sounds are in there and loaded just fine. All I need to know now is how to make it so that when the snare (or bass drum or whatever) does a roll, the sample is cutting itself off instead of playing all the way through a bunch of times in a row and overlapping the sound. (While we're at it, how do I change the names of the drum sounds on the display on the left right next to Ultrabeat's keyboard?)

SUPER EDIT: It's not overlapping the sound. I was completely wrong. Looks like I still have a lot of work ahead of me in getting these 19 songs from the EMX to Logic, but I'm a lot farther along now than I was yesterday.

Thanks again to everyone who helped. I'm sure I'll keep running into questions and, hopefully, be able to answer some in the future!

Sorry for being a pest!