Protection error

Cal

This is a more general question regarding the entire Logic Studio.

Here's the setup... I have both Logic Studio and Final Cut Studio 2 installed on my imac. I am on a network that several computers share. Another computer has the Final cut studio installed, so, of course only one computer can be running any one application from the Final Cut suite at a time. My computer is the only one with Logic Studio installed.

OK, so here's the issue. Soundtrack is included in both of these suites. I have installed both the Logic and Final Cut Studios. When I open Soundtrack, it opens the one from the Final Cut suite. This is a problem because Final Cut is always being used on the other computer, and I get the Protection error..."This application cannot continue b/c another application with an identical serial number..... " blah, blah, blah.

So, can someone tell me the best way to make the Logic Studio install of Soundtrack the default?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Thanks for the responses

I certainly don't need two versions at all. I originally installed Logic Studio first. When I went to install FCP studio, I thought I chose the option not to install Soundtrack again.

When I look in my apps, there is only a single install of Soundtrack that i can see. There is no other install anywhere else on my mac.

No matter if I open it from apps before opening a project, or drop a project file onto the icon on the doc, it gives me the protection error when someone on the network is using any app from the Final Cut Studio.

Should I just uninstall the entire FCP studio, make sure everything from the Logic Studio is there and working, then try to reinstall FCP Studio carefully making sure not to install elements I don't need?

Should I just uninstall the entire FCP studio, make sure everything from the Logic Studio is there and working, then try to reinstall FCP Studio carefully making sure not to install elements I don't need?

Or maybe just reinstall STP with the Logic Studio discs? But try contacting Apple and insist to talk to someone, you should legally be allowed to use STP on both machines at the same time, and there might be an easier way than reinstalling?

My initial thought was, did you register STP with the Logic or FCP serial. But... I don't ever remember registering STP (I only have Logic.)

That's weird. You should definately contact Apple. And it would be nice if there was a work around that didn't mean reinstalling either pro app suite.

Good luck. Let us know how it resolves.

I'm thinking of a workaround, but I'm not 100% sure it's going to work, or what it could end up doing... but if you want to take the risk:

Go to /Library/Application Support/Pro Apps/ and move "Final Cut Studio System ID" to the desktop. Open STP. It should ask you for your serial. Enter the Logic Studio serial.

See if that works? If it does, then open FCP to reauthorize it with your serial.

If nothing works, just put the original "Final Cut Studio System ID" in its original place.

Thanks David

I played around with your suggestion. I found both the Final Cut Studio system ID and the Logic Studio system ID in the Pro Apps folder.

When I pull the Final Cut Studio system ID out of the Pro Apps folder to the desktop and Leave the Logic ID in place, Soundtrack opens just fine. When I move the Final Cut ID back into the Pro Apps folder and try to open Soundtrack, it gives me the same error.

When I pull the Logic Studio system ID out of the Pro Apps folder to the desktop and Leave the Final Cut ID in place, Soundtrack gives me the same error as before.

It never asked me for a serial number, so it seems that there is only one Soundtrack install which is for both Final Cut Studio and Logic Studio. It just defaults (in my case) to the serial of the Final Cut Studio install when both IDs are in place in the Pro Apps folder. When only the Logic ID is in the Pro Apps folder, it defaults to the Logic serial number.

I may be wrong, but this is how it appears.

Any ideas anyone?

• 2 years later...
I had this same problem. I have two mac mini's - one in my living room and one in my studio. Logic 8 on both. I switched the locations of the two computers. Then I got this error. Through trouble shooting I finally narrowed it down to my airport extreme router. I restored the factory settings on the router and the issue was resolved. As for technical jargon and a nerdy explanation - I'm drawing a blank. I hope that helps.

• 7 months later...

i have been using logic pro 9 with my 8 core mac pro for about a year now.

I simply did the proper combo update for my pro tools side of the system and went through all of the proper updates for logic pro etc that i was prompted to with updates.

now when i try to open logic it tells me that there is a protection error.

anyone want to enlighten me on this? I have a full retail version of logic pro , logic studio 9 and no issues until now.

what gives?