Tips for working with compound time signatures?

John DeBorde

hello there,

Just curious how folks are dealing with compound time signatures. I have a section of a cue in 6/8 where I'd like the 1/8 = 69bpm. What's the best way to set this up?

Also, I don't see how I would assign the beat to the dotted quarter if I wanted to do that. What's a good approach to do that?

the cue I'm currently working on goes from 6/8 into 4/4 too. Any special considerations there?

much obliged!

john

hello there,

Just curious how folks are dealing with compound time signatures. I have a section of a cue in 6/8 where I'd like the 1/8 = 69bpm. What's the best way to set this up?

Also, I don't see how I would assign the beat to the dotted quarter if I wanted to do that. What's a good approach to do that?

the cue I'm currently working on goes from 6/8 into 4/4 too. Any special considerations there?

much obliged!

john

Use Global tracks view and set up your Tempo and Signature.

1003605199_Picture3.png.5ea1f59981f5ccc931d106e41188ab46.png

Logic does not produce a dotted-quarter (or dot-anything) click. It's a long-standing shortcoming. If you want a click that goes from, say, 4/4 to 6/8 and you want the 6/8 click to be dot quarters, you have to create your own click track.

Assign the Klopfgeist to a track and play in the click yourself. Of course, you can loop one-measure regions of 4/4 (say) for as long as you need to until you get to that 6/8 section. Simply placing a 6/8 click's region into the looped 4/4 click's track will interrupt the 4/4 click and give you your 6/8 click. You can then loop the 6/8 click until it's time to go back to (say) 4/4; at that point you simply copy your 1-measure 4/4 click to start where it needs to and you're good to go.

thanks, I got that part.

I guess what I'm specifically asking is what's the best way to set my click to a value other than a quarter note? And if I can't do that, how are you guys working around that?

TIA,

john

never mind... this is the click on beat 1 and 4 discussion again.

Archived