what audio file formats are best ..

i am using CAF for recording thru the apogee duet to logic... is this good? when i have clicking during recording and playback is that because my latency buffer is set too low? or because the audio file format i have chosen....

thanks

CAF is indeed the future, no restrictions of file sizes, assuming your record hours and hours of high-quality audio. Otherwise WAV or AIFF should work fine as well. I don't think there should be any worries about buffer sizes versus how long it takes to generate or parse specific lossless audio formats.

The only time I'd use CAF is if I NEEDED an unlimited file length. Considering WAV is limited to 4GB, that's a few hours at any sample rate.

CAF isn't very cross compatible at the moment, Logic is one of the only DAW's to support it, so if you're going to work with someone else or wish to take you work anywhere else you'll be looking to convert everything first.

WAV format as in BWF Broadcast Wave Format also has the advantage of storing Time Code information which helps no end when sharing work with others. That's what I use.

Aside from file length, CAF is a more robust audio format for recording, so I would at least consider it to record live shows or any situations where you have to do longer recordings (even if it's just 1/2 hour).

Whereas an AIFF or WAV file has to write data in the header AFTER you press stop, CAF files write the data BEFORE you start recording. That makes a huge difference should the app or the computer crash in the middle of the recording: You could still use the CAF file (obviously the recording stops when the computer crashes), while the WAV or AIFF recording would be entirely useless.

Archived