Rebuilding my studio

There was another thread about studio pics which escapes me right now.

I promised to post some pictures of my rebuilding, so here they are.

Work in progress shots of the new setup (same room but with new desk, new acoustics, and some new gear too):

http://www.popmusic.dk/temp/studiebyg3.jpg

Custom desk by Henrik Oehlers Design.

http://www.popmusic.dk/temp/studiebyg5.jpg

iMac workstations for the courses (MIDI keyboards not there yet)

http://www.popmusic.dk/temp/studiebyg6.jpg

Chill.

http://www.popmusic.dk/temp/studieworkinprogress.jpg

This is not finished of course, gear is missing, no lighting yet, cables are all over, etc.

I zoomed in on the Flux Epure plug-in on the screen in case anyone is curious.

The great thing about this desk is that it hardly affects acoustics being very discrete and curved, and yet has great ergonomics for my workflow.

Acoustics: Parafon ceiling and GIK batts. Custom built corner traps (combined batt and superchunk design).

Key gear used:

·Logic Pro

·Klein+Hummel O300D+O800 monitoring

·Crane Song STC-8/M mastering version compressor

·Gyraf Gyratec XIV tube equalizer

·G SSL Type 4000 mastering modified compressor

·G 1176 LN limiter DIY

·Great River MP2-NV

·Flux

·Sonnox Oxford

·Waves

If all goes according to plan I'll be ready by August 15th. Naturally anyone coming to Denmark is invited to the opening once I set a date.

cables are all over

Mwahahahahaha.... you obviously haven't seen my studio. :mrgreen:

Yeah I'm a bit anally retentive.

I guess that's why I make a decent mastering engineer.

So if I'm anally retentive I suppose you must be an anally expulsive type David, heh heh.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your studio.

In the picture with your keyboard and monitors there is a silver box with little lights, just to the right of the mouse. It looks similar to a Mackie Big Knob in a way. Who makes that that? I've seen pictures of it in other people's studios, but I can't make out a name.

SPL MTC 2381 monitor controller. Modified with a better master potmeter than the factory one.

http://www.soundperformancelab.com/index.php?id=129&L=1

Bigger picture

http://www.soundperformancelab.de/fileadmin/user_upload/produkte/mtc_2381/mtc2381_1500.jpg

PS. I just wrote to SPL informing them that their new website doesn't work properly on Macs, hiding the buttons for displaying larger product pictures.

Here's that anal retentive personality shining thru again.

And I'm surprised to see that your desk is on plain hardwood floor, do you not suffer from early reflections? I've always placed an area rug right under the desk... although it seems like most early reflections would come from the desk itself of course...

Yes, that's been a wondering of mine for years looking at pictures from established studios, hardwood floors look nice but oh the acoustic bounce, compared with using carpets to attenuate reflections. When I renovated my house there were few places were carpets were used, hard floors everywhere, but not in my studio.

Which GIK traps did you get and how do you like them? Had you ever tried other products?

I made my own traps, I have 10 2x4 of them, but I may have to buy more. I was leaning toward realtraps.com but the GIK are much cheaper. Wonder how they compare.

GIK 244

I'm afraid visual quality is not amazing. Get RealTraps if you got the dough to spend.

And I'm surprised to see that your desk is on plain hardwood floor, do you not suffer from early reflections? I've always placed an area rug right under the desk... although it seems like most early reflections would come from the desk itself of course...

Not really a problem but I'm considering a big flame shaped red rug. :-)

That is NICE. Good work.

I have a question though. I've always been told to place the monitors so the tweeter is on the inside when they are on their side but you've done the opposite. As you look like a guy who knows what he's doing I'd be interested to know why you've done it.

That is NICE. Good work.

I have a question though. I've always been told to place the monitors so the tweeter is on the inside when they are on their side but you've done the opposite. As you look like a guy who knows what he's doing I'd be interested to know why you've done it.

Thank you.

Normally you'd place the tweeters on the outside. This is also the configuration shown in most manuals.

However I've seen some people do the opposite too.

There are benefits to doing things both ways. Whatever rocks your boat I suppose.

One thing to think about is whether the speaker was build for horizontal placement (such as the K+H O300D) or not. The K+H O300D has great response and symmetry in all planes.

But take a normal 2-way speaker and you may run into trouble very fast when you put it on its side. Perhaps that why some people find placing the tweeters on the inside helps.

In some 2-way systems you can rotate the HF driver to get better dispersion (such as Genelec 1031A). Although I think it's more for cosmetic reasons. I certainly couldn't hear any improvement when I had 1031As back in 1999.

Ah ok, thanks a lot. I've only ever used budget equipment so that is probably why people have always told me to do things differently...(maybe?). the manual for my alesis m1s says on the inside but I can see why other monitors might be different. Also, i suppose the room make a difference too. For example, if you get more high frequency coming out of the top other speaker than the bottom then unless you have well treated walls to either side of you then there will be a lot more nasty reflections by positioning on the outside. Or the converse.

Cool. Have fun with your new setup.