External MIDI problems

jbeadle

For some unknown reason MIDI channels 1, 6 and 13 in the external MIDI device will not play any sound. All the other channels seem to generate a sound with the exception of these 3. Also the output level for the remaining MIDI channels is unusually low. I'm using a ROLAND XP10 with the keyboard volume set to maximum, yet the sound output is almost inaudible.

The software instrument output levels are fine, as are the audio levels.

What is it with Logic 8 and external MIDI – there's very little documentation in the manual on external MIDI. I just returned from a Logic 8 Pro seminar where Apple was promoting their software, along with the manufacturers of compatible hardware (Euphonix, Apogee) and neither one of these units supports MIDI, external or otherwise. I am a guitarist, and certainly have no ambition to become a keyboardist, however I would at least like to be able to augment my recordings with brass, strings, piano where necessary. Is this possible within Logic 8, are have I missed something?

J

I am having the same problem. Logic does not seem to handle external midi well at all. I think it may have something to do with the way things are setup in the "environment" window, but I am an intelligent guy and still cannot figure out what they are talking about. Apple needs to clear this up!

For some unknown reason MIDI channels 1, 6 and 13 in the external MIDI device will not play any sound. All the other channels seem to generate a sound with the exception of these 3. Also the output level for the remaining MIDI channels is unusually low. I'm using a ROLAND XP10 with the keyboard volume set to maximum, yet the sound output is almost inaudible.

The software instrument output levels are fine, as are the audio levels.

What is it with Logic 8 and external MIDI – there's very little documentation in the manual on external MIDI. I just returned from a Logic 8 Pro seminar where Apple was promoting their software, along with the manufacturers of compatible hardware (Euphonix, Apogee) and neither one of these units supports MIDI, external or otherwise. I am a guitarist, and certainly have no ambition to become a keyboardist, however I would at least like to be able to augment my recordings with brass, strings, piano where necessary. Is this possible within Logic 8, are have I missed something?

J

How are you connecting the keyboard and what type of interface do you have?

I'm using a Yamaha MO8 for a controller connected through USB. I'm also using a Roland TD-6 V-drum kit connected through midi cables through a Midiman 4X4. I also have a Korg 03R/W that is running through the Midiman. The Roland and the Yamaha work as triggers fine, it's just that playing back the sounds from all of the units is shaky. Like you, i really need to crank up the volume on the Td-6 (I'm on max with the input setting on my MOTU 828mk3 interface). I am able to hear everything now, but when I first opened Logic today it wasn't playing back any of the right patches. Later on it started working. And there are still certain Midi channels that don't play at all.

im having a similar problem. I have a M-Audio fast track pro connected usb. my yamaha keyboard's audio outs and going to the fasttrack, and the midi in and outs and are connected to the fast track. when I set up an external midi track in logic and try and record nothing happens. it usually works fine too, but sometimes it seems to stop working for no reason. ive check all the midi prefs., everything i can think of nothing works. the connections are all fine just seems like a problem with logic???

In Logic 8, an instrument will be created for you, and will appear in the library pane if you have configured OSX's Audio MIDI Setup with your devices and how they are connected to your MIDI interfaces. Be sure that's done first.

Ping back if you're still having problems.

After following fader8's suggestion, if things aren't working I suggest both of you guys post screenshots: Open the Environment window, select the Clicks & Ports layer, take a screenshot (please, no wider than 800px or so) and post it.

Or, just upload a zipped copy of your project file (no audio files please).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

I purchased David Nahmani's book LOGIC 8, which has an entire chapter devoted to setting up external MIDI in LOGIC 8. It was easy to follow and everything is working as it should, with one exception – the output volume from the external MIDI device (Roland XP10) is noticeably lower than the output from a software instrument. The volume on the XP10 is set to maximum, yet compared to the software instruments its almost inaudible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

J

Archived