recommend external HD for backup

They are all basically the same and only as reliable as the drive they put inside.

I tend to buy the empty cases and put my own drive in so I know its a good drive. If the interface on the case goes bad I can pull the drive and put it in another case, but I have never had one go bad. I usually keep a spare case around. I still do a lot of IT work and with a space case I can pop the drive from a dead computer, or if a user gets a new computer or hard drive take their old drive put it in the case and they can move files they need over next few days to avoid "I wish I had copied that too." Plus easy way to test drives so you don't have to pop open your computer.

Additional I have one of the cases that can hold a CD/DVD drive. Real handy when need to copy a CD/DVD on a system with only one drive.

Warning: If you also do ProTools it is REAL picky about what the chipset in external drives it will work with. Has to be specific Oxford chipsets.

When saving and backing up, do you usually copy EXS Instruments and Samples to project folder?

What about Ultrabeat Samples and Space Designer impulse responses?

Anything that you bring to the project that is not part of Logic like your own samples, custom exs instruments and the like should be included in the folder. It comes down to the fact when you put those projects on another computer and that computer looks for samples it doesn't have.