Upgrading to Leopard

M-Audio finally just released drives for Leopard and my hardware ProjectMix I/O.

Is an upgrade from Tiger to Leopard ok?

I have the following installed and configured in Tiger:

* Boot Camp and Windows XP (Installed on a Seperate Partition)

(I read this will get upgraded if after I boot into XP and insert the Leopard DVD)

* Logic/Ableton Live

* Deactivated Apple's Default Web Server (Apache 1.x) and configured Apache 2.0 as well as: PHP 5 and Tomcat

Let me ask, why do you want to upgrade to Leopard anyway? If your system is currently working as is, you might wait to see what experience other people have with those brand new M audio drivers.

Compatibility with some people I know using Leopard for things like iChat Video Conferencing and Remote Support.

Oh and Time Machine for it's backup abilities.

That stuff is cool but is this your main DAW machine or a general use pc? My colleagues don't actually like Time Machine also although I've never used it so I can't speak of the problems specifically. I use and really like Super Duper for making backups. Many other people seem to prefer it too.

If you use any Spectronics plug-ins you're in for a bit of hassle.

I changed to 10.5 and got stung with their Trilogy.

Other than that, for me it was OK.

Woulsn't bust a gut to do it though unless you need to.

Time machine is good, but really, you could just back your important files regularly yourself?

Since I upgraded to leopard I'm having crackled audio. The output of my external soundcards stutters. If I reset the sample rate it dissapears for a couple of minutes but then it comes back. When recording, logic keeps giving me errors that the midi could not be sync'd with the audio. If I afterwards play the recording on my internal soundcard, there is no crackle. I record with a presonus firepod and a firestudio project. Presonus says that the drivers are compatible. Does anyone have a solution for this? I'm I missing something.. Oww yeah, another thing, in logic pro, while recording, the HD usage indicator pulses like crazy, goes almost till red and back.

I'm using a 2.4 Ghz 4gb RAM macbook pro 5400rpm HD.

That stuff is cool but is this your main DAW machine or a general use pc? My colleagues don't actually like Time Machine also although I've never used it so I can't speak of the problems specifically. I use and really like Super Duper for making backups. Many other people seem to prefer it too.

Yes this is my main DAW machine, but if the M-Audio drivers are stable (which I believe they are), everything should (i think) be fine.

Yeah, if you don't have lots of third party plugins, and it's really only the m-audio drivers that were an issue you will probably be alright. I wouldn't expect a problem with Logic or Live.

One thing you could do (I do this before even the smallest system update) is clone your boot drive so that in the event that things don't work out you can go right back. I know I pitched this software before - I promise I don't work for these guys - but Super Duper is pretty inexpensive and will do this for you. Of course you have to have an empty firewire drive sitting around to make the bootable clone.

Yeah, if you don't have lots of third party plugins, and it's really only the m-audio drivers that were an issue you will probably be alright. I wouldn't expect a problem with Logic or Live.

One thing you could do (I do this before even the smallest system update) is clone your boot drive so that in the event that things don't work out you can go right back. I know I pitched this software before - I promise I don't work for these guys - but Super Duper is pretty inexpensive and will do this for you. Of course you have to have an empty firewire drive sitting around to make the bootable clone.

Super Duper is awesome, I used that awhile back to clone my main drive when I bought another HDD.