Macpro to Macbook Pro?

Hi guys,

I currently have a Mac Pro quad 2.8 and really would like to get a laptop so I can take it places with me. I would love both but a)I can't afford it and b) I probably would end up using one more than the other.

I use it mainly for Logic Pro, but use dreamweaver and photoshop as I do design work.

My question is:

If I moved to a MacBook Pro one of the new ones would it still be ok for my audio projects? There is a big different in price from the 2.4ghz to the 2.5Ghz would the 2.4 be that much different.

Also what is the internal sound like on the MacBook Pro if I ran it straight to my monitors?

Sorry for all the questions, hope someone can help me.

Thanks

I've never used the quad core mac pro, but I can tell you that the macbook pro has been a charm on recording. If it's hooked to moniters it's great and really low noise, I also noticed after enough time of no signal output, the macbook will kill the audio to get rid of annoying hiss while you work. I'd recommend it if you want mobility, but if you've gotta hardcore rig, it could be too demanding. IDK, good luck! 8)

A laptop will always be slower than a tower when they belong to the same product generation. The laptop is not quad-core, graphics card is less powerful, you have less ram, smaller hard drive and sometimes slower too, and you always need an external hard drive for your projects if you don't wanna bog down the computer.

It's a compromise for mobility. If you're used to the power of the mac pro, expect less from the macbook pro.

I would say it depends on what you plan to do with logic. The more plugins and virtual instrument you plan to use the more power you need but the MacBook is very powerfull

i own a macBook 2,4GHz and i am very satisfied of it

If you have to choose on what to spend a couple of more $$$, spend it on RAM and hard drive (choose the fastest one for internal, and a big external one for samples and backup) rather on an additional à 0,1GHz for theCPU

Archived