What Interface for Logic 8?

Depends if you want a mixer with mic pres that later connects to the interface or if you want an interface with 16 dedicated inputs/mic pres. Also depends on your budget. 16 dedicated channels won't be cheap regardless of the combination.

In our studio we use an Allen&Heath board that goes to the MOTU 24 I/O (24 ins and outs). We got to that stage because before we used 2 interfaces with 8 mic pres each and soon enough we needed more inputs.

I think mixer into the interface is the best way to go if you need lots of tracks because you have more control over the signal that gets to the interface.

I'm thinking more of the dedicated 16, but aren't there virtual mixers built into the interfaces? Then you use a controller to edit the levels? I'm a noob so I don't know too much on the topic, but I need to record like two guitars (mic + direct o), bass (mic + direct o), 6 piece drums (mic each piece + two overhead), and vocals(SM58)

I agree with Triplets.

Get a mixer and an interface.

Dunno which mac you have, but if it'll take PCI card, RME Hammerfall are well respected and I'ce read very little negative stuff about them.

I've had one for about 5 years in a couple of Macs- no hassle ever. I shold point out that I'm not a "power user" by any means. But the RME card just works!

The Hammerfall card I have takes ADAT. So that sorts out what mixers to look for! I ended up with a Yamaha 01V96. 12 mic channels, 4 line inputs, one built in ADAT and a slot to put one of the yamaha expansion cards in. I went for a dual ADAT card, so I have 24 i/o via ADAT from the mixer to the interface. Logic will even see the 01V96 as a controller...

Anyway, good luck with your decisions!

Well I got a MacBook Pro, so the standard PCI isn't an option, but the express 34 is, so the hammerfall looks good, but what about the fireface 800?
there are expansion Chasis out for PCI technologies using Xpress cards, Magnum is one of the main developers that Digidesign lists for Pro Tools.

Things are starting to change this year, i am hearing allot that surprised me, i guess we will see what will convince us to buy the latest macs this year, there are even monitors now that run off USB., thought i share that with you.