Automation suddenly ignored...

studioeoin

Can anyone explain why Logic can suddenly ignore simple volume automation?

Soloing the track, while in "read" mode makes this fault so blatantly frustrating.

Have I accidently kicked on an "ignore Automation" switch?

Hoping to finish this mix...

Thanks in advance,

Jon

nope. its a bugger. happens to every one. the nodes won't be ignored so add some in for a workaround. try zapping undo history and reorganizing memory, but it is a very nasty bug.

bugs like these are very hard to fix because they are so intermittent. it is very difficult to create a reproducible scenario for this bug to occur in. if a bug can be reproduced you can bet it'll get fixed, but if it is hard to reproduce you can bet its going to annoy us for a long while.

Same thing happened to me this morning so I went in the automation folder and the track was muted in there but not in the arrange. I unmuted it in the automation folder and my automation started working again. Don't ask me how this happened.

Thanks a LOT for posting that info. Now it would be very useful to see if anyone with automation not playing can use the same workaround to fix the issue?

Now it would be very useful to see if anyone with automation not playing can use the same workaround to fix the issue?

I'll try to share some thoughts and will be OFF topic for a while in attempt to clarify the phantom Logic behaviour...

I spent lots of years to investigate the Logic Environment phantom message behaviour in an effort to clarify if it's a bug or some kind of self protected organism system, which chooses its best way to survive ( sharing its best resources in a unique way - for many of you it can sound like absolute fantastic tales, so do not read that, if do not have any interest ).

I'm almost sure that no one of the Emagic programmers had a thought to create such self controlled behaviour system. Anyway my tests with huge environment schemes and Macro ensembles gave me the idea that Logic tries to find it's best way to operate. It's quite complicated to explain that's why I did my best to collect all extra behaviours in schemes in a try to show what causes that. In many of the cases a spend a week of more to investigate any message routing, what is the best message order, etc... so I found that Logic chooses the most direct way of the messages, and filters as "Phantom ones" all others which are splitted multiple times from single objects ( though these schemes work perfectly if use in little environments gears ).

Well, I'll stop with OFF topic examples and come to the point where all of us must try to investigate the Logic behaviour and not say " It's a BUG ".

A few thoughts about L8,

It's quite young system which is different from the older Logic versions though many people can not see that regarding the internal engine. Now Apple did their best to get all the useful features from the older versions in a try to fix many useful features and in the same time trying to update the app.

Regarding the solo and mute L8 phantom behaviour... I'm crossing the forums and try to get more evidences about. Why I do that ?

I'm still not sure what causes that, though have some suspects about LSO conversion in L8 projects or Events list based behaviours.

What I mean about the Event List Based behaviours ?

For example the Sysex faders ( which are event list based environment objects which was fixed in L8 ). In L8.0 I found a mess in the sysex faders message order which was fixed in 8.1 regarding the message order. But there still is a bug about the sysex event list which is relative to the Automation event list etc... When you close the sysex event list an reopen, you find that all messages are selected inside which causes value change of the last message byte, so it could be the problem in the relative event list behaviours.

Finally,

Take great attention and try to systematize what causes that:

1/ LSO conversion from older Logic song projects.

2/ About the Mute & Solo phantoms - try to test "Preferences ->General mode->Track Mute/Solo settings", - they are still cross based between old versions and the new engine etc...

Sorry for the long off-topic article...

Well, Vacheto I certainly appreciate your thoughts as my G5 1.6 (single) is being heavily taxed with this and every other session...

Those little adjustments in Preferences/Audio/General didn't do it.

Like ChicoStatis, I can't seem to find that folder here in 8.0.2

P.S. It's just this one track too!!!...

regards,

Jon

Can anyone explain why Logic can suddenly ignore simple volume automation?

Soloing the track, while in "read" mode makes this fault so blatantly frustrating.

Have I accidently kicked on an "ignore Automation" switch?

Hoping to finish this mix...

Thanks in advance,

Jon

You are saying this happens only with the 1 track?

How are you soloing? Click Solo with the mouse (arrange or Mix window), or via a Controller?

Have you searched your KEY commands for automate (or Solo) just in case you have something set?

Too many non related things going on here.

Thanks shivermetimbers, you had me hanging on the rafters with that possibility, so a diligent scour of the Key Coms. shows nothing bad.

So Ultrabeat, Stylus & Albino tracks continue to have their automation read, while EVD6 in this case, doesn't.

Sorry to confuse about solo - I just soloed the track (in arrange) to find the problem in the mix, a moment of revelation and disbelief at the same time !

best,

Jon

Like ChicoStatis, I can't seem to find that folder here in 8.0.2

To open the automation folder:

1) use the Key Command "Automation Event List..." (Default US: Control-Command-E).

2) Choose Window > Arrange (Command-1)

Ahh!! Very nice. Thanx. :D

Thanks David, I SHOULD be seeing a white line scroll down that Automation folder window during play, right? Not so here...

... so at this point, I declare this mix a success (abandoned)....

Thankfully, through the wisdom of this very board, I bounced and "saved as" that mix at every stage, so move on to the next one and check for ghosts...

salud,

Jon

Thanks David, I SHOULD be seeing a white line scroll down that Automation folder window during play, right?

If you are talking about the automation event list, then yes you should. The automation folder, on the other hand, should look just like an Arrange window, with a vertical playhead. Did you end up opening it? If not, make sure you open it and see if the track is muted.

Archived