VIP Celebrity Famous Logic users

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, most of Europe's finest DJ's and producers use Logic! Let's start with the world's #1 DJ/Producer (as voted by mixmag 3 years in a row now), Armin van Buuren. I'm quite sure someone could go down the DJ Mag Top 100 list from top to bottom and the majority of them would be Logic users.

For example, I'll add Above & Beyond (U.K.), Markus Schulz(USA), Steve Helstrip (U.K., a.k.a. Thrillseekers), and Sander van Doorn (NL). That must be a good half of the top 10 list (PVD has already been mentioned elsewhere), and the rest want to use it. In fact, Sander van Doorn and Thrillseekers even have websites with training tutorials on how to use Logic!

http://www.clubzone.com/news/357/interview-with-armin-van-buuren.html

Armin van Buuren: "clubZone – Ok. What kind of technology are you using? Armin Van Buuren – The album was done with Ableton Live and Logic Pro 7. We didn’t use a lot of external or internal plug-ins. We used a little bit of outboard keyboards, because it’s so hands on. A couple of the tracks we wrote didn’t even start with an eight-bar loop. Dance music is made by an eight-bar loop, which you loop; add a bassline, chords and several elements. A couple of those tracks were made with a guitar and a piece of paper, in the kitchen, over a cup of coffee."

http://trance.nu/v4/forum/viewtopic.php?t=167706

Tony McGuiness (Above & Beyond): "Logic is certainly the most intuitive and powerful piece of software I have ever used. It does everything you'd want to do and a lot of things you won't have thought of and the virtual instruments EMagic have developed are amazing. The ES1 is arguably the best - it doesn't have the range of sounds that the ES2 has (which is a monster) but its so easy to get a great sound out of it. And for sheer believability, their Rhodes piano deserves an award. As a Mac loonie, I'd say getting Logic would be the best excuse for getting a Mac you could have!"

http://dancemusic.about.com/od/remixersproducers/a/MarkusSchulzInt_2.htm

Markus Schulz: "RS: What software do you use in the studio?

Markus Schulz: My main system is ProTools, and then I also run Logic and Ableton. ProTools is my main weapon of choice."

http://www.vstcafe.com/2009/06/sander-van-doorn-studio-sessions-videos.html

Sander van Doorn Studio Sessions (Logic)

http://www.youtube.com/user/thrilltube#p/a/740231E4EAC457DC/0/YerZlAwEP-w

Thrillseekers In the Studio (Logic)

If you're into Progressive Trance/Tech, take a listen to Sander's Roundabout...it's my aspiration to make music in Logic half that good someday!

In Europe, everyone loves Logic, and we're slowly catching up over here in America! :D

• 4 weeks later...
Why is there a list in the making here anyway?

You can't imagine how many times people ask me that question: "do you know anyone famous who uses Logic?" or something like this. I decided to make that list, starting from the old VIP list Emagic has on their website, and add to it as we discover new Logic users.

Well that list wasn't all that complete. As a former Emagic VIP member, I'd say my name was absent on that list. Greg T, Dave S, and many others were fantastic to those of us that were endorsed but not on the web list as well.

is the trillseekers not using cubase from that video??

Well, I just viewed it again, and he is actually using Cubase in that particular video. Steve (Thrillseekers) definitely does use Logic, however, here's a bit from his user forum on that:

http://www.thethrillseekers.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=578&highlight=logic

Steve Helstrip Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:50 pm

"Well I've just switched to Mac/Logic after nearly 20 years of using Cubase. Cubase 5 itself is very stable, but I was constantly faced with memory issues (not being able to address more than around 1Gb from within Cubase itself on my system). This caused massive instabilities with plug-ins like Omnisphere. Cubase quits without warning when hit with low memory. Logic, on the other hand, allows me to access up to 4Gb, making it a more stable system for me.

Have to say, having been using Logic for around 3 months now, I would never switch back. Logic and OS X are so slick, and have many amazing workflow enhancements, that using Cubase on a PC just feels awful now.

I believe Cubase and Logic are both incredibly stable in themselves. PCs and Windows XP/Vista (haven't tried windows 7 yet, and am unlikely to) simply aren't, which throws in a whole bunch of other predictable issues. So, it's Mac and Logic all the way from here for me."

Another VIP Celebrity citing for the Logic user list is Netherlands DJ duo Rank 1 (Piet Bervoets and Benno de Goeij), who this year produced the theme song for Trance Energy 2009 "L.E.D. There Be Light:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-c1dIIt9Y0

I was at this party in Utrecht, Netherlands with 30,000 of my closest friends, and I can say that it went over quite well! :)

http://www.rank-1.com/transverydigitaldiscom/

(click on the StudioCam link)

Current equipment:

• Macintosh G5 dual 2.5Ghz 1 Gb • Logic 7.X • Ableton • Native Instruments Reaktor • Spectrasonics Atmosphere • Spectrasonics Stylus RMX • Korg Legacy Collection • Jacobi 3 way monitors • Mackie Big Knob • MOTU 828 MKII • Roland JP8000 • Roland TR 909 • Roland TR 808 • Roland TR 606 • Roland TB 303 • Korg MS20 • Alesis Andromeda A6 • Roland Jupiter 8 • MOog Voyager • Roland MKS80 • Roland JV1080 • Roland JX3-3P • Yamaha DX100 • Doepfer A100 modular • Spirit Live 3 2 • TC Fireworx • Lexicon Alex • Roland SDX330 • Ensonique DP4 • Yamaha G3 Grand Piano • Bass guitar • Electric guitar + Roland VG88 • Acoustic guitar • Rode NTK Condensor Microphone

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

John Fryer

Producer/Composer/Engineer

Musician - Member of 'This Mortal Coil'

Personal Website

"Fryer is a devout Apple Mac and Logic man and says he can trace his loyalty to the latter back to his days using its Atari-based predecessor, Creator. "The thing about Logic is as they've developed it, they've just enhanced the program, they haven't completely changed it. So it still functions as well as the first version and still has a lot of the same commands. Even though we've progressed 15 years or whatever, the MIDI side of it is still the same, just as good as it ever was. I was talking to someone the other day who only gave up using Creator four years ago, 'cause it was rock solid. I just find it easy to use, I find it totally logical. Even when they bring out a new version, it only takes probably an hour or so and then you're up and running again and everything makes sense."

SOS Article including Section on Logic

Clients include NIN, Depeche Mode, Cocteau Twins, Sarah McLachlan

List of Clients

• 1 month later...

Matt Squire? Maybe.

He's the producer of some pretty famous pop/rock bands out there, such as The Used, The Receiving End of Sirens and a bunch of other pop punk "we play warped tour" bands. In addition, he also does some more hip hop/pop bands (HA!) such as 3Oh!3 and Katy Perry.

Anywho, I can't be sure if he uses logic or not, but the LOGIC (pun) behind my argument, is that 3Oh!3 has a photo on their facebook profile showing them using Logic. So if 3Oh!3 uses logic, and Matt Squire makes 3Oh!3s music for them, then by extension...

• 2 weeks later...

Ivan Barias. Part of the Grammy nominated and multi platinum R&B/Soul and Hip-Hop producer/songwriter duo Carvin & Ivan. Responsible for Musiq Soulchild, Jill Scott. Produced singles for Keyshia Cole, Raheem Devaughn, Jaheim, Faith Evans. Worked with Justin Timeberlake, Mario, Jazmine Suliivan and others. Ivan Has been using Logic since 4.6.

Carvin & Ivan wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carvin_%26_Ivan_(Karma_Productions)

Edited by doxortho

• 4 weeks later...

Latest edition of Electronic Musician (May 2010, page 24-25) shows that producer RedOne uses Logic pretty much exclusively. He's interviewed about his work with Lady Gaga, and it's almost like the interviewer, Mike Levine, is surprised that he does *everything* in Logic.

From the article:

Electronic Musician: What does your setup contain?

RedOne: It’s a computer—a Mac, and [Apple Logic Pro 9], samples, and headphones.

EM: Do you also use Logic in the studio when you're doing the big sessions, or is it Digidesign Pro Tools?

RO: No, only Logic

EM: What is it about Logic that you like?

RO: It’s easy. It’s very quick to me. I’ve been working with Logic since ’95 or something like that. Before it became Apple, when it was Emagic and all of that. And it’s become easier and easier. To me, Logic is very logical.

EM: Do you use the Logic plug-ins or do you use a lot of third-party ones?

RO: I use the Logic plug-ins.

EM: For compression and other effects?

RO: Yeah, compression, effects, delays; I love the delays in Logic. EVerything is beautiful.

EM: So when you're working in a big studio, you're still running Logic rather than Pro Tools?

RO: Yes. If you think about all the hits I did with Gaga, honestly, it was a funny thing. We were working in big rooms, but we were using my equipment. Like my Apple studio speakers, and we were working from my laptop most of the time.

EM: Do you use Logic on top of TDM hardware or just native in the computer?

RO: I use Logic inside the computer.

(few questions later...)

EM: What software instruments do you like to use a lot?

RO: A lot of them are in Logic.

EM: You're using the Logic synths and Ultrabeat, and all of those?

RO: Yeah, absolutely.

• 1 month later...

haha, thats a really funny interview

Ive talked to some studio guys around the bay area- the ones that have logic equipped rooms pretty much say the same thing as redone in that article- that all you need is a computer and logic software. very reassuring to us poor people who cant afford nice outboard gear or fancy looking control surfaces

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's one I follow:

Danny J Lewis aka Enzyme Black

Writer/Producer (Deep & Soulful House)/Tutor

Websites

http://dannyjlewis.wordpress.com/

http://enzymeblackrecordings.ning.com/

http://www.traxsource.com/index.php?act=show&fc=tpage&cr=titles&cv=63228

Example of Logic Use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv9nTZqyq_k&feature=search

Some Bio Info : Since storming the top 30 with his debut 'Spend the Night', Danny has recorded for labels including Defected, Ministry Of Sound, Afroart Records, XL Recordings and his own Enzyme Black imprint. DJ supporters include the likes of Masters at Work, Gilles Peterson, David Morales, Kenny Carpenter, Todd Edwards, Todd Terry, and Danny Rampling to name but a few.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
apart from RedOne, do you guys think that there are many more of the before mentioned artists who ONLY use logic, so no protools between mic and mastering engineer?

It's not clear if RedOne's productions don't go through a ProTools or Nuendo session as the final mastering. It's a wide open field concerning final mastering work, every mastering engineer has their favorite DAW.

that is why I mentioned the mastering engineer in my question.

I know there are a lot of productions that are made in LP, but then transferred to a PT system where the overdubs are recorded and the final mix is made. So I mean productions that are all Logic until the stereo mix.

[so between means excluding... ]

that is why I mentioned the mastering engineer in my question.

I know there are a lot of productions that are made in LP, but then transferred to a PT system where the overdubs are recorded and the final mix is made. So I mean productions that are all Logic until the stereo mix.

[so between means excluding... ]

Saw in latest Electronic Musician that Maroon 5 and their producer Mutt Lange are using Logic in parallel with Pro Tools for their latest album. According to them Logic's MIDI handling is superb compared to ProTools. And Mutt Lange is super-picky about audio quality...