multitimbral topic again re: kontakt3

blackthorn media

Could someone please point to a tutorial somewhere that explains, step by step, how to set up multitimbral instruments that treat automation in each track individually...specifically with Kontakt3 in Logic 8? I know this topic has come up a lot, but I have not been able to find a detailed description of how to accomplish this. I've read the section on multiinstruments in the logic manual several times to no avail. I've searched the NI and Logic forums. I switched to Logic recently from another DAW and it really does seem that this is an unnecessarily cryptic process in Logic. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for the quick response which is greatly appreciated. There is undoubtedly some good information there in that post, however, I think it would be somewhat difficult for someone fairly new to logic to figure out how to accomplish the task in question by reading that post. So again, I would very much appreciate if someone could point to a step-by-step detailed protocol for properly setting up multitimbral intruments, especially Kontakt3, in Logic. From reading the forums, there is a significant amount of confusion here. I paid a Logic Certified Pro to come to help me get this set up and he sat in front of my computer mumbling to himself and eventually gave up.

Kontakt is a bit different than other multitimbral instruments as it has fully assignable automation, either host based or MIDI cc. My preference is to automate Kontakt with MIDI as the parameters can be named in Logic Hypersets. Using the host automation works fine, but the parameter names you assign don't get transferred to your track automation pulldown. It's no fun having to remember that the group insert Lo pass cutoff parameter you want to automate is #023 in your track automation pulldown.

Regardless, set up an instrument track with Kontakt and create more with the Track->Create with Next MIDI Channel command. Set up your Multi in Kontakt and assign automation any way you like using the Auto tab pane in Kontakt.

blackthorn,

I know what you mean, I migrated over from dp and Nuendo,.. comparing,.

Logic has the most absurd way of dealing with multis,. all this aside.

I downloaded and examined Davids multi when I first started L8,. I learned a lot about the inner workings and power of the environment, at least I can now wire it up that way,. I choose not to however.

I'll suggest the easiest way is just do your automation on the Kontakt aux channels..

make frikin music,. and smile!

have fun,

Pm

I'll suggest the easiest way is just do your automation on the Kontakt aux channels..

Hey PMcC,

Kontakt's automation parameters, which are extensive, are not available on aux tracks. Furthermore, aux tracks cannot host MIDI cc regions so that isn't an option either.

Logic allows various methods of working with multitimbral instruments, which is good as you can develop one or more ways to suit your workflow. It doesn't jam just one way down your throat like, say, Pro Tools or Ableton does.

Here's a few threads describing various ways of using Kontakt with Logic:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=28046

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=26880

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=27370

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=7539

You may be right Fader 8,..

I was wrong in assuming that the Op was asking to at least have each part in Kontakt volume automate,shame on me....

But, I automate the volume of the Kontakt Aux channels all the time. it's easier than the tedious workarounds one needs to do in order to accomplish such a simple task.

I don't think you and I will ever agree that this process, is soooooooo easy in any other daw,.. and for whatever reason, Logic is unable to do this.

Do this,...

Turn a midi objects automation on, hit transport and move said fader,..

phew,.

that was easy,..

It must be me,. but I'd have that "rammed down my throat" anyday

:)

Logic allows various methods of working with multitimbral instruments, which is good as you can develop one or more ways to suit your workflow.

I'd rather say that Logic allows various workarounds instead of providing a simple standard solution.

I'd rather say that Logic allows various workarounds instead of providing a simple standard solution.

Uh-oh. Fred said the "W" word. It's all downhill from here . . . .

aren't they workarounds though?

Come on F8,.... you can admit it,..

Sure, but I'm not clear where you draw the line at "standard method". The needs of orchestrators are different those writing electronica or throwing together a glitch kit. It's tough being all things to everybody.

For example, I keep trying Ableton Live, which has a pretty standard approach to this. But I keep trying to "work around" it cuz it doesn't do everything I want! You can't win. :(

You can't win. :(

I hear ya,.. if I could take the bits I love from Logic, Nuendo and dp,...

I'd have superdaw! :0

Archived