Duet over loading errors

Hey guys

I have been using the Duet and a Ozone to write music on the go, i noticed since i had the Duet that i get more System over load errors., wether i use a external drive or have all other applications closed after a fresh restart, within some time of running a session and just a few Amplitube tracks i hit walls here.

If i run the Ozone alone i can use over 3 times the power out of my 17" Macbook Pro "HD" i got in September 2007.

The CPU meter shows below half way for about 2 and half bars and out of no where like a spike goes red!

Any advise would be appreciated.

Some apps may consume more ram resources than Logic can handle, that's why they run perfect in stand alone mode ( if you have enough physical ram they require ). There is a trick to run them in stand alone mode with Logic using "Soundflower" ( virtual audio cables ) and IAC Driver ( virtual midi cables ).

Have you heаred about this trick ?

Some apps may consume more ram resources than Logic can handle, that's why they run perfect in stand alone mode ( if you have enough physical ram they require ). There is a trick to run them in stand alone mode with Logic using "Soundflower" ( virtual audio cables ) and IAC Driver ( virtual midi cables ).

Have you heаred about this trick ?

Yes i have used it, David here has mentioned it a bit in the past but you know how we all get caught up with sessions and forget everything from time to time.

Seriously though, using stand alone and that app take even MORE memory and power from the CPU.. the biggest issue is having Safari or Firefox open., memory is reserved for browsers all the time., maybe you know better and have more info then me., but its what i noticed so far.

Maybe the MBP gets too hot, i just read threads where people with the DUET hear crackle sounds when there computers get very hot.

Hi

First off, i forgot to mention that i am running all this on Tiger.

In order to even get Logic to perform with the DUET as it did with the M.-Audio Ozone, especially as well as M powered Pro Tools, i had to create a new user and test everything from the ground up, turns out that the ports for Firewire and USB on my MacBook Pro are not at all the same or one needs to test the right combinations in order to get thing to work smoother.

So what i did was:

1-I created a new user., started clean again.

2-Then i bounced all the tracks into audio files., improved the situation allot but i still see errors.

3- I removed the DUET and played back the session from beginning to end no problem with the built in core audio,

4-then worked my way back to the DUET by testing which ports to add my devices too.

Here i what seems to work on the MBP 17 for me:

1-DUET FW400 to FW800 cable, into the FW800 port of course.

2-FW400 HD to the FW400 port.

3-ADC to HDMi cable from LCD.

USB:

Seems that when i use the USB port on the right side of my MBP while FW at the same time i get more errors, so i ended up using the 2 ports on the left side of the MBP., but the right side of the MBP also provides the most USB power ONLY when used with out any FireWire devices.

No internet browsers, internet or funny applications, i was surprised to discover that Logic Drains so much power!

I connected the M-Audio Ozone, ran a Pro Tools session of the 8 stereo audio files i bounced and i had not one single glitch or error, i mean i can work with out worrying about anything in Pro Tools but Logic (pro) seems to drain so much CPU power from all over the place.,

Maybe there is a memory leek or bug or i need to move unto Leopard if i have to go through all these problems, but all i can remember was how bad Leopard was when i did the last time,

What stinks with Pro Tools is that Digidesing clearly makes PRO products matching up to a PRICE ratio expectancy they can expect most giant corporate Post House Studios who make millions a month buy the latest HD system via corporate tax right offs while no creative artists can afford to spend 20k on a personal system unless they have such money or are recording artists and can get a break.

Digidesign practices cold bureaucratic fundamentalism by creating the POOR MAN's Pro Tools systems when all of the set ups coul work with out a single glitch., this tells you allot about where America is heading, in the east they have much more advanced technologies, no hype or false marketing schemes but also no standards as we all share here which proves that Digi is just BS when it comes to why they take so long to provide leopard compatible systems on time while releasing only HD support first,