upgrading to the ultimate macpro for logic studio

Hi Guys, hope u can help with this very broad question from a long time logic user.

Currently own dual G5 macpro full of ram running logic7. with lots of third party plugins. like NI,arturia,symphonic orchestra, URS, izotope,toontrack,bias peak etc etc.

i am looking to upgrade to logic studio hoping my work will be easier but most important FASTER and more POWER. so i dont get 'core audio too slow' warnings!

if i were to configure my ultimate (totally logic/music biased) mac putting in the best bits (only if they apply to better music performance)

what would other users suggest?

Processor? 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon?

RAM 2 -32GB? what is the maximum logic can realistically access?

RAID card? do i need it?

15000 or 7200 rpm hard drive? faster=better?

i use three screens so i'd need two ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT cards i guess.

well hope u can help out... none of the shops have logic users so i might get stitched up with more than i need!

regards!! redember

Don't buy that kinda setup, youll waste your money like I and a lot ... a lot of people craving for more power did.

8 core mac + logic pro 8 works like s#!+ ! ... no honestly, I was running 60 tracks on a 3 ghz core2 pc with cbs sx 3 ... and now i get loads of "core audio overloads" running even 30 tracks ! ... damn !

I love to work with logic, and I love mac osx ... and I hate windows, vista especially, but I have to admit, Apple blew it big time with audio on 8 cores !!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

And another surprise ... I bought Logic Studio for my 8 core, and guess what, Sound Track Pro 2 never actually started to work ! ... I tried everything, and it still hangs 1 sec after launch, a lot of people have this issue.

So my opinion, after spending over 2k quid on Apple audio stuff, do yourself a favor and try to build a powerful pc with cubase 4.1 ... sad but true :/

I wish I had your money!

Do you rob banks?

If so cut me in on the next job- I'm a mean motorcyclist, no-one will catch us! :lol:

I've no advice or comments really, but if you do buy the mother of all set-ups, and it does work, maybe an idea to keep the old G5 (and look, I'm very proud of my G5!!) to run as a node- even more power!!

Cheers,

"wheels for hire"

hi

i have 8 core running Logic 8.0.2 and it works great.Never had any crashes and i run

heavy projects.60-80 channels with Software Instruments and a lot of plugins.

I'm working 24/44.1 with 3 MOTU audio interfaces.

i don't really know how much or how good Logic use all the 8 cores but i never needed to freeze or bounce a track to free up CPU.

hope it helps

So what version of OSX do you use ? Cause a lot of people is having cpu spikes and overloads all over the place on 8 cores (including me : ( ).

BTW my audio io is motu ultralite.

hmm, my business partner uses pc/cubase.... and yes. i am jealous of its fluid speed and seemingly never-ending processor headroom!

this is exactly why i wanna get to the bottom of it.

to follow on...

yes benco, how much ram are you using too? i use only one motu828mkII, is using three helping you there maybe?

thanks for comments.

(no not rich, just my mac is my work and play!)

hi

i use 10.5.3 with Logic 8.0.2

Mac Pro Intel 3.0Ghz with 8GB RAM.

One additional HD for samples and one HD for projects

Both HDs are Western Digital 320GB 7200

MOTU 828mk3,MOTU 896HD x2 and 2 Presonus 8 pres connected ADAT to 828mk3.

All the Motu hardware is connected serial through the internal Fire Wire 400

Sonnox Oxford plugins heavy used on every project

NI guitar rig and IK Multimedia Amplitube 2 (i use that one through FXpansion VST to AU adapter coz for some reason i don't know Logic can't recognised it us AU)

MOTU Symphonic Instrument and Electric keys

I use also external synth connected into 828mk3 analog inputs and through the External Instrument plugin in Logic

I had few problems with the OS 10.5.2 before.The CPU was too high on core one and all the other cores were less then 5% but since 10.5.3 this behaviour stopped.

hope that helps

Yea, that helps a bit, thanks.

And what about STP2 ? does it work for you ?

Ive got a very simple setup, but maybe my problem is incompatible hardware. First like you said, I had a lot .... i mean a lot of spikes, then after 10.5.3 there is a lot less of that, i have to admit, but now i have problems with uad-1 cards i bought recently, plus ive dl'ed beta4 drivers for virus ti, which may be giving me some heat ... plus ... well i dont know.

But ive dl'ed new drivers for motu today after your post, and it looks a lot better now, hope itll stay like that ! : )

Yea, that helps a bit, thanks.

And what about STP2 ? does it work for you ?

Ive got a very simple setup, but maybe my problem is incompatible hardware. First like you said, I had a lot .... i mean a lot of spikes, then after 10.5.3 there is a lot less of that, i have to admit, but now i have problems with uad-1 cards i bought recently, plus ive dl'ed beta4 drivers for virus ti, which may be giving me some heat ... plus ... well i dont know.

But ive dl'ed new drivers for motu today after your post, and it looks a lot better now, hope itll stay like that ! : )

iirc the UAD cards are the main problem - apparently there's a known issue with them on an 8-core mac pro (probably something to do with the new chipset). Haven't seen any news on that in a couple of weeks though, so there might be a solution if you check their website

I got a Mac Pro the beginning of the year and diggin' it. My only advise is don't spend the money max'ing it out initially. It is so easy to upgrade do it if/when you need to. I just ordered a couple more hard drives, and will probably move from 4GB to 8GBB RAM in a few months. A plus to waiting is prices keep getting better on drives and RAM.

Archived