Creating sound effects within Logic Studio

apple

open a new track, select software instrument, look through the library to find some FX presets, try lots of different keys on the (piano) keyboard, if you don't have a separate key controller, caps lock will let you use the keyboard (typing) as a keyboard (music) to listen to the sounds

That's great, I'm already up and running, thank you!! I'm using the Space Designer plugin along with Ultrabeat to enahnce the overall sound of each effect. Are there any other plugins or effects you enjoy using or would suggest I try too?

Bitcrusher for the nostalgic. Don't fear the cliché. Classic is often classic for a reason.

You could look into Pluggo Jr if you want other ways to mangle your sounds. Further down the mangle road are the daevl.plugs. They aren't free, but low-cost compared to most plugins. For creative destruction, these are a great value.

http://www.cycling74.com/downloads/pluggo

http://daevlmakr.com/Pages/daevlplugs.html

Also think about doing some recording if you have a microphone. Record things in the room: run your fingers down the window blinds, bang on things on your desk, etc.

Then, play around with different effects on those sounds. Load them up as samples in an instrument and tweak the knobs. The possibilities are endless!

You're welcome. I did a film score once for a film that was very "trippy", similar to Punch Drunk Love, where everything is a little off and there's a lot of uncomfortable tension. One of the main elements of my score ended up being my window blinds. I did some rhythmic patterns with my finger and it ended up sounding so strange that it was perfect. Then I did a polyrhythmic beat with my hands on my desk. The combination was great.

If you're looking to be creative and create new sounds, get in the habit of recording any time you hear some interesting sound. The other day I accidentally scraped a mug against a bowl, and it made the COOLEST sound. I went and grabbed my laptop and a microphone and spent 20 minutes recording every possible sound I could make with the two of them. You might consider getting a cheap handheld recorder if you do this a lot.

P.S. If you ever need to record a sound effect for someone's hand being ground up in a garbage disposal, I'll save you some time. After much experimentation, we found the best tool for the job: frozen tater tots! :D