newbie question about ultrabeat and importing

spaz

so i tried to import synth sounds to ultrabeat; i go to import, browse through and get to plug in settings. in there i choose ESE, and select analogpad.pst i click open, and then..... i get the spinning beach balloon forever, logic blocks, nothing happens, and i am forced to force quit logic.

what happened here ?? did i do something not allowed ?

thanks!

Well, you're allowed, but it won't work. The preset files for one type of synth will not work with another synth. They simply do not have the same controls.

Do you want to import samples into UB?

You could use the ESE sounds, but UB is only going to allow you to drag in EXS samples.

You'll have to turn your ESE sound into audio, shove it to EXS24, then off to UB.

I'm also a relative newb here though, there might be a better way...

See if the experts chime in...

:arrow:

(looks like one did)

Well, you're allowed, but it won't work. The preset files for one type of synth will not work with another synth. They simply do not have the same controls.

in the manual p. 350 it says: " You can import drum sounds and sequences from other Ultrabeat settings into your currently active drum kit. You can also import sounds from EXS instruments: Ultrabeat reproduces the EXS layout as closely as possible. Layered EXS zones are set up as layered drum sounds, using the sample playback mode of Osc 2. ....

.....To open an Ultrabeat setting or EXS instrument in the import list:

1 Click on the Import field in Ultrabeat’s upper left corner.

2 Browse to, and select the Ultrabeat setting or EXS instrument from which you want to

import sounds, then click Open.

A list of all the sounds found in the selected setting or EXS instrument will be shown

next to the Mixer section. "

so i thought that i could import a say lead or pad or other sound as a .pst file.

and also, why does it crash or get stuck, instead of giving me right away an error message ??

seems strange.

to be more clear: what i wanted to do initially was to assign to the sounds in ultrabeats some of the preset sounds (settings) found in the instruments.

for example in ESE there is a setting called analog pad, i wanted that sound to be one of my drum voices in UB...;

to be more clear: what i wanted to do initially was to assign to the sounds in ultrabeats some of the preset sounds (settings) found in the instruments.

for example in ESE there is a setting called analog pad, i wanted that sound to be one of my drum voices in UB...;

Hi spaz,

UB and EXS share a common function in that they can both play samples. So when UB imports an EXS sample program, it reads the sample playback parameters, eg velocity layer, audio file, etc. It will not read in any synth parameters that have been tweaked in the EXS, eg envelopes and filters.

ESE is a synth only, so it's preset file consists of only synth parameters specific to the ESE. But you can still do what you want. . . .

Create a short MIDI sequence on an ESE Instrument track that plays the sounds you want. Add any effects you like to sweeten it up. Bounce this track, then drag the bounce from the bin onto a new audio track. Select the region and choose Audio->Strip Silence to truncate your audio.

Select each region in turn and enable the Sample Editor. Here you can tweak the start and end points of the region by holding shift and dragging the region selection. Make sure Search Zero Crossing is enabled.

Rename the regions in the Arrange and select Audio->Convert Regions to New Audio Files. Now you can drag these fresh files into the sample load area of UB's Oscillator 3. Viola!

Hi spaz,

UB and EXS share a common function in that they can both play samples. So when UB imports an EXS sample program, it reads the sample playback parameters, eg velocity layer, audio file, etc. It will not read in any synth parameters that have been tweaked in the EXS, eg envelopes and filters.

ESE is a synth only, so it's preset file consists of only synth parameters specific to the ESE. But you can still do what you want. . . .

Create a short MIDI sequence on an ESE Instrument track that plays the sounds you want. Add any effects you like to sweeten it up. Bounce this track, then drag the bounce from the bin onto a new audio track. Select the region and choose Audio->Strip Silence to truncate your audio.

Select each region in turn and enable the Sample Editor. Here you can tweak the start and end points of the region by holding shift and dragging the region selection. Make sure Search Zero Crossing is enabled.

Rename the regions in the Arrange and select Audio->Convert Regions to New Audio Files. Now you can drag these fresh files into the sample load area of UB's Oscillator 3. Viola!

gee,... this is not obvious...., but surely worth a try . thanks !

so what was refering to the section of manual i posted above ?

gee,... this is not obvious...., but surely worth a try .

I suppose it's not obvious for someone just getting started. You may wish to do some background reading on the differences between synthesis and sampling. While you can often see combinations of both in the same plug-in, they are still very different things.

so what was refering to the section of manual i posted above ?

Simply that it is possible to use EXS voices in Ultrabeat. It's very specific that it only includes layered EXS zones too. Nothing misleading there.

The procedure I explained is a very common sampling method and you might find you enjoy it. Building playable sample sets can be very rewarding and affords you a degree of control not otherwise attainable. Anyway, good luck.