feedback on my music, please

morkwich

Hello. I lurk here and have learned many things from various people but for the most part I tried using Logic for the past few months on my own and I made this record. I would like to read and learn from any feedback and/or suggestions anyone might be willing to give me. Thank you for taking the time to listen to some of my music. I appreciate your criticism's and your honesty's.

http://web.mac.com/marklyonwilson/Mark_Lyon_Wilson/Mark_Lyon_Wilson.html

-Mark

pretty cool! trippy :P lol, I'd make a more stereo spread but not too much its pretty good, some more vocal dynamics would be great. But very cool, keep it up! :D

I didn't hear much bass but I'm using built in laptop speakers so...

overal I'd say make instraments more spread appart (some of the instruments are kind of jumbled together) with panning to give it a more full sound. If you could let me know when you put some new stuff up, great stuff. Best wishes - ZoSo

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for taking the time to listen. I believe if you used headphones or speakers rather than laptop speakers you'd notice there is a great deal of panning. I've noticed with laptop speakers, it sounds jumbled because I tend to have many sounds going on at one time and laptop speakers can't decipher the stereo space. But, thanks for your feedback. It is much appreciated.

Wow ... I think it's really cool. I DL'd the whole album and I'm on track 3 so far. I didn't care too much for the string parts on "Peter the Deceiver" but I've really been digging the rest of it. At times reminds me of late Pavement or early Malkmus solo stuff (that's pretty high praise coming from me). I'll post back after I've had some time to digest it. I've gotten a lot of new music lately and it may take some time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

After listening to the first song, I'm in agreement with m-m-m, love the tune, but also not so keen on the strings on Peter the Deceiver.

I do think that the many of the sequenced elements sound a bit lifeless in the performance... Have you quantized these? If so, one tip is to ctrl-click on the Region Parameters section (where you set quantization from the arrange window) and select "Extended Region Parameters". Then you can decrease the value of "Q-Strength" a bit, which in essence makes the quantization less "exact" and allows some feeling back in.

If you just programmed the notes in without playing them, you could try opening up the Piano Roll for each region, selecting all the notes then choosing Functions>Transform>Humanize, which can de-mechanize the sound a bit by adding some controlled random velocity and length changes.

But as I said, good tunes.