Recording guitars with two mikes

Hi all!

I've just started using Logic and am relatively new to recording. I want to record some distorted guitars using two mikes at the same time. What's the best way of doing this - recording them both into a stereo track, or recording two separate tracks, one for each mike?

The problem I have with recording to a stereo track is that I'm assuming that when it's panned hard left or right, I'll only get the audio from one mike, whereas I obviously want both. But if I record to two separate tracks, it becomes a nightmare trying to match up multiple takes.

Is there a better way to do this?

Are you using a desk with busses? If so I would suggest take them in on 2 channels in mono each panned left and right, then bus them to 1 and 2 in stereo then into sound card / computer. Then you will have a stereo recording using each mike within Logic.

Otherwise record them both and bounce down before you start work?

Maybe there's a better way, but that's what id try.

Here is what I do.

Mic 1 > input 1 on your interface > audiotrack 1(mono) in logic set to input 1.

Mic 2 > input 2 on your interface > audiotrack 2(mono) in logic set to input 2. Record enable both tracks and hit record.

Have fun :D

That's what I usually do, except when it comes to multiple takes, it can sometimes be hard to match them up properly.

danCrouch - I think I am doing essentially the same thing by creating a stereo track in Logic using Input 1 and 2. But either way, both would act the same, I think. With a single stereo track, I can combine the multiple takes easily (as opposed to having to do the same edit for both tracks of a single take) but when I pan, say, hard left, I only get the sound of one microphone, which ruins the purpose of using two mikes! =(

Ideally what I would like to do is record into one stereo track, arrange the takes then split it into two mono tracks so I can have the flexibility of editing each track independently. Is this possible?

Yeah I'd do two mono recordings. This makes it easier to process the mics separately later if you need to.

For example, you might want to compress one and not the other, or process one of them with some other FX such as chorus. Or maybe the position of the two mics means the best sound comes from flipping the signal phase on one of them. Or even that you prefer the mix when they're not both panned out to extremes...

Of course you could split a stereo track into two mono tracks after recording then do any separate processing, but that's then one extra step...

Cheers

Fleabag

No, no, no.

You're doing it all wrong, sir.

For starters - trash the Mikes and get Pats, or even Beths.

IMHO - Mikes never do the job they were intended to do - but then the Pats are always goofin' off ... so I guess you might be in trouble either way.

:lol:

(just pickin' on ya)

Yeah I'd do two mono recordings. This makes it easier to process the mics separately later if you need to.

For example, you might want to compress one and not the other, or process one of them with some other FX such as chorus. Or maybe the position of the two mics means the best sound comes from flipping the signal phase on one of them. Or even that you prefer the mix when they're not both panned out to extremes...

Of course you could split a stereo track into two mono tracks after recording then do any separate processing, but that's then one extra step...

Cheers

Fleabag

Yeah, my aim in the end is to have two mono recordings for the aforementioned flexibility. However, my main problem is when I have two or more takes on that track. If I want to make a change in the comp, I have to modify the take on both tracks individually...which can often be pretty hard...if one of the takes is slightly different than the other, the result isn't so great.

So I don't mind recording a stereo track and then splitting it into mono after I've adjusted the takes. Could someone please give me an idea on how I split a stereo track?

Ideally what I would like to do is record into one stereo track, arrange the takes then split it into two mono tracks so I can have the flexibility of editing each track independently. Is this possible?

You can just edit group the two tracks and comp them that way. RTM on how to set up groups. I wouldn't edit the two tracks independently, you will greatly increase your chances of phase issues moving one track and not the other.

It is possible to split stereo recordings after the fact, but seems like the long way around to me.

Bass frequencies disappearing, odd tonal changes when comparing the sound of one mic to both together. If you turn down one of the channels and slowly turn it up if you hear a very pronounced change to the tone of the signal then investigate the phase between the mics.

One way to do this is to just zoom all the in on the attack of a guitar chord, note if the waveforms follow the same movements as one another or if they are opposed.

Unless you perfectly line up the mics capsules and have them placed the same distance from the amp, then you WILL get some phase difference between them. This isn't always wrong however, and CAN be used to get a certain sound.

Safest way is to just keep the capsules aligned, or add a third mic to try something different with, that way you won't mess up the first two if it doesn't work.

Make sure and record some, then play it back, try movin the mics, try again.

Archived