Stereo Mastering? Exporting?

I am satisfied with the mixes I am getting in Logic Express but I am losing quality when the songs get to CD. Can someone please help with the steps I need to take (bit rate, kbps, file type, "stereo mastering," etc) to get the songs properly exported from Logic without losing quality.

Thanks!

For starters welcome to the forum, and thanx for adding your info to your signature.

Matering is kind of a big topic ... I'd start by searching mastering. In some ways it's kind of like asking 'How do I mix my album'. I've heard it said that mastering your own mixies is similar to cutting your own hair. I do both sometimes though and I usually get results that I'm happy with .... this is because I don't expect to get pro results, and because I've had some trial and error ....

One thing to try would be to use a compressor or AD limiter on your output so that the RMS hit's in the ballpark of -12 or so. This will at least help with percieved loudness, but at the same time will hurt your dynamics.

I agree with m-m-m, that's kinda like picking up a cello for the first time, recording a few notes, and asking professional cellists: "why can't I get the same sound as you?" - Well, sure, it could be something's wrong with your cello, but even if your cello works great, it's not like you're going to get it to sound professional overnight. It takes years of practice to develop your skills and talent - same is true for mixing and mastering.

Do search the forum (and the net) for mastering and mixing, you'll find tons of info, articles, books... and start honing your skills now, but realize it's going to take time.

Thanks for responding guys!

David, I have your book on Logic and I can't find where you mention the mastering element of Logic. I understand mastering your own work is not recommended and also that Logic is not intended for true mastering, but is there any place to learn about that aspect of Logic?

I think that, without writing 10 pages about mastering, because it would fill even more than that, you need to have some really basic, crucial and practical elements present everytime you master.

For example, you mention bit rate and sample rate. Well, this depends a lot on what you are mastering for and how did you record and mix your project. Let's say you start a recording session and you are using 24Bit/48KHz, then you should stick (if possible) to these values until the actual Bounce to CD (if you're working for the regular Audio CD). At that point you would need to use Dither to downsample all your audio files from 24Bit/48KHz to 16Bit/44.1KHz (the actual Audio CD standard).

And this is just a starting point.

If you're really serious about your mastering, then try reading some good books, like "Modern Recording Techniques", by David Miles Huber. This one has a nice chapter on mastering, and 500 more pages about all the recording and mixing process. Really good. Or if you really want to dive into it, go for the Mastering Bible, by Mr. Bob Katz, "Mastering Audio - The Art and the Science".

Be aware, as David said on a previous reply, it's a loooong looooong step to get it right, so be patient.

I am satisfied with the mixes I am getting in Logic Express but I am losing quality when the songs get to CD. Can someone please help with the steps I need to take (bit rate, kbps, file type, "stereo mastering," etc) to get the songs properly exported from Logic without losing quality.

Thanks!

If the 'Pros' could get by mastering with Logic express, they would not have a need for all that expensive equipment they have. So without spending years pursuing the art of mastering...

If you are happy with the mix and enhanced it a little with Logic's Mastering inserts, you could try recording directly to an external recorder (i.e. DAT, Mini disc, even a VHS tape).

If the quality is still there, then do a CD burn.