EQ automation question

cantgetnosleep

Hello all,

So I know there's got to be an easy way to do this. I'm 'mastering' a track, and what I want to do is create different EQ settings for different sections of the song. What is the simplest way to do this?

I know I can open track automation and adjust the eq settings in the track/arrange area - but it would make a lot more sense if I could set up the EQ the way I wanted and 'write' those settings at a point in the song, skip forward to the next point, write again, etc...

Is this possible?

Thanks - Andrew

I am missing something here.

You want to set your EQ for a track using Automation.

Once the EQ is set, it will stay that way until you change the automation again at a later point.

Do you want to know if you can do that, or how to skip ahead? (like typing the measure number in the Transport locator).

You don't have to do it in the track in the arrange, you can just drag the points inside the EQ window as the song plays, to draw in the automation. Does that answer your question? Also, make sure you have your automation mode set to Touch or Latch. (Write will work too, but maybe not the best idea if doing it for your first time)

what I want to do is create different EQ settings for different sections of the song.

Hi Andrew,

Logic's EQ's do not have a convenient way of recalling a "snapshot" of settings via automation, eg like sending a program change to an external hardware digital EQ. The best way is to display the EQ settings you want to change in automation view. Set snap to bar, then use the marquee tool to select the section of the song. Grab the trace and drag it up/down. Nodes will be created at the marquee selection boundaries.

If you don't have too many changes, you could insert several instances of the EQ plug and alternately automate the bypass of each. This is easy if you have certain settings just for the chorus.

Some 3rd party EQ plug-ins do have the ability to recall a snapshot. For example, Elemental Audio's Firium has 50 EQ "States" that can be recalled via track automation. Very handy.

Thanks for the answers. The 'snapshot' thing is what I am looking for. I can't just record the EQ changes like I would a volume fade because I don't want them to sweep, I need them to change instantly for different sections of the song. Using several instances would probably work for me since I really only have three or four different settings I need to use.

andrew

you can also cut the audio where you want the changes and put each piece of audio on it's on track with one eq set the way you want it. So if you have four different sections, you'd have four tracks stair stepped.

That way you don't have to automate anything and you can easily see what section is being processed where.

I used to automate all the time and I find this approach much easier. Works great on gtr tracks and vocals as well.

Tracks are cheap these days.

hm.. what about, if you don't have too many changes, then create x number of aux, then put them all on bypass, and use latch mode to turn one on and off.

Prob need to set pre, and kill the volume on the audio track, so you get 100% of the aux.

Archived