Mastering Mastering + Song

kittygroove

• 2 weeks later...

good stuff Sven.. would like to have UAD and Waves products in my arsenal.. but for now relying solely on Logic 8 for mastering.. can you recommend the comparable L8 plug ins to the ones you used for this example or do you think the UAD & Waves products are just that much better?

TIA..

Trebor

I have no experience of the UAD stuff, and never really liked the waves plugins I've tried. I personally don't mind adaptive limiter, but there is a free limiter made by Yohng called the W1 which is supposedly a like for like copy of the Waves L1. I normally use this lightly followed by some EQ, the adaptive limiter.

I don't do much proper mastering myself I prefer bands to get a mastering engineer to do it, but this is fine for me. I have also used a load of other mastering plugins in Protools HD and never been much of a fan of them.

Hi Guys

Yes every plug-in has their own sound and each producer has their own preference ;)

You can substitute the UAD & Waves plug ins with the following:

UAD Precision EQ - Logic Channel EQ

WAVES MultiBand - Logic Multipressor

WAVES S1 Imager - Logic Spreader

UAD Precision Limiter - Logic Limiter

WAVES L2 - Logic Limiter or Adaptive Limiter

Hope that helps champ

Sven

• 2 months later...

Sven,

I've tried all that you said as far as the logic compatible plugins are concerned. I'm begining to give up on the thought that I can get a music industry ready master using just the logic plugins. It just doesn't sound crisp. The logic spreader does add a nice something to the sound but I have a really keen ear and I can hear it bending the pitch of my instruments so I have to turn the intensity down to like 5 or below to keep the pitch that I need. Am I missing something here or are 3rd party plugs the way to go for mastering in Logic. Did you have to replace your sound card in order to use the UAD plugins?

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris

Sorry for the late reply, unfortunately I wasn't notified. My set up is APOGEE BIG BEN & the APOGEE ROSETTA 200 which do play a large part in the sound quality that I get. I also love the 3rd party plug ins, it may be worth spending a little bit of money on some 3rd part plug ins if feasible, UAD is awesome and WAVES...there are others that people swear by!

you can check out my studio to see the gear...

www.kittygroove.com

I know that isn't much help. Good luck and please let me know if I can help with anything else...

Best

Sven

I like the urs EQ's myself.

I find you can really push them, especially in the high end, and still get a smooth sound. I use them in conjunction with Logic EQ's. Though I am now using Logic's EQ's mostly for filtering stuff out.

The reverbs and compressors in Logic i think are Fantastic though.

HAve a good one. :D