I'm looking for a computer DAW for recording on a Mac (which I will be buying soon). I have some equipment to get going and more being researched, so for now I'm mainly looking at software--Logic Pro, MOTU DP, Nuendo, Pro Tools. Number one for me is work flow. And number one in work flow is a pdf manual especially since there will be quite a learning curve (but even after the learning curve is over, if ever, I'd want reference material at the click of a mouse. It's how I like to work with any in depth applications). So. I think I saw on the Apple site that there is a downloadable pdf for Logic Pro's user guide. I read MOTU doesn't offer one and that could be a sticking point for me since I hate reading small print from a manual. I don't know if Nuendo and Pro Tools have downloadable pdf manuals or not.

Can anyone shed some light as to the quality of the manual, and otherwise why you like the workflow aspect of Logic? And if you have any reasonable thoughts to add about MOTU DP or Nuendo, etc. (without getting into a DAW war), that's fine too. TIA

Your main purpose is to RECORD.

You will develop your own workflow based on the DAW you have. Basically, hit the record button, record the part and move on. You will do that in any DAW.

The differences are what each one has to offer.

Logic is self contained for just about anything. There are some software better suited for different needs. Ableton was designed with DJ's in mind for live settings for example.

Once you have recorded, you will then want to process everything. This is where everything becomes different. If you read through the posts, you will see many that state things like" In Protools, I can do this..." or "In Cubase, I am able to do that..."

They all have the '+' and '-' and it is all about what you need to do.

I have learned enough about Logic and it is doing what I need it to do.

Everytime a question is asked in this forum, I either;

Know what the answer is ...

Don't know the answer, look it up and learn something new ...

Don't know the answer, but I do not have a use for it.

Logic has a .pdf manual within the program as well as an online manual.

Not everything you need to know is in there. You probably won't need to know everything that is in there either.

First of all, what do you want to do with the application?

Record, yes, but what? 1 channel, 2, a whole band?

Are you gonna use MIDI? Are you gonna use loops?

Each DAW has it's features, strengths and weaknesses.

I'm not gonna say one is better because everything is personal preference.

From my experience and personal preference I would say the following:

DP I never understood the way it works, although I'm sure it's a great app.

Pro Tools is great for audio editing and that's it for me, and I have to use it every week.

Logic has everything I need for my personal workflow, be it recording, MIDI, Automation, layout and so forth. And it's not perfect by any means.

So remember it all depends on what you want to do with the app.

There you go, good luck in researching.

just recording audio, pro tools might be the solution ..which i never tried

if u want to create music, like electronic stuff ..ableton live in combination with logic is quite good..

the thing what i dont like in logic is, that for example its not posible to handle audiofiles like ableton does.. i mean no realtime timestretching like elastic audio..

changing tempo just a bit always needs to render the audiofile again in logic...thats not the most comfortable way of working with audio.. except u convert to apple-loops, but thats rendering again and will always touch your creative workflow

Recording various musicians, from 1 piece to 6 piece on average but I want capability for more if needed. No midi.

Then I'd recommend Pro Tools. Very smooth workflow for an audio-only workflow. Much, much easier to learn too. Logic is great if you're a composer and sound designer. Many of us use both LP and PT regularly. The two apps are very different in purpose and focus.

At a minimum, get an 002 or 003 LE system and the DV Toolkit. Or get an HD system if you can swing it as you'll ultimately be happier with it. Far less limitations with HD.

Yes, PT has a PDF manual.

One warning only, if you go the PT way, prepare yourself to pay more money overall, meaning hardware and software.
Yes, so I'm learning in my research in internet stores and other DAW fora. It's kind of confusing for me, PT that is. If I go to Sweetwater and check prices, it literally runs the gamut from little bucks to huge bucks. Is it reasonable of me to feel that aside from whatever computer, mixers, mics, monitors, processors I have (or will acquire), that I should be able to get a half way decent 8 channel firewire interface and software for a starter studio for at or around $2K?

You're definitely pointed in the right direction with the above posts. I have no experience with PT so I can't talk about its workflow, however, Logic has screensets which allow you to change easily between one window (or windows) to the next. While doing your research, I'd highly recommend looking into them.

One of the best things about Logic is the user forums like this one. Every question I've had about Logic has been answered by the people here.