Which set of reference Monitors?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which set of reference Monitors?

• Dynaudio bm 12a
    • Genelec 8040A
    • Adam P11A
    • Dynaudio bm 6a mkII
    • KRK VXT8

ok, so i mix down on a pair of digidesign rm2's but have decided to get a second set of near fields to get a 2nd opinion on mixs, and also for playback so i want a sweet sound the digi's are VERY flat which is ideal for mixing. i produce house/dance music. iv listened to the bm6, vxt's but not the others, iv heard good things about the adams. so all opinions appreciated

so i want a sweet sound

I that case you should look at Dynaudio or KRK.

But since those are still monitors maybe you should actually look at getting a pair of passive hi fi speakers instead.

I see a lot of people voted for the ADAMs but I don't think that's ideal in your particular case, given the information you supplied.

so i want a sweet sound

I that case you should look at Dynaudio or KRK.

But since those are still monitors maybe you should actually look at getting a pair of passive hi fi speakers instead.

I see a lot of people voted for the ADAMs but I don't think that's ideal in your particular case, given the information you supplied.

yes i was leaning towards the krk or dynaudio but started to 2nd guess my choice when the majority chose adam's?

thanks for all the input

I use the BM-6As (not mkII, I guess, they're about 3 years old). I like and trust them. I don't understand your 'sweet' comment, or at least I don't know how it would relate to reference monitors. 'Accurate' and 'detailed' are always what I look for.

However, if you're after something 'sweet', I'd recommend trying the Genelecs. Although I have only ever used the 10-series, I've always found them a little too 'pretty' and 'easy', so maybe that would fit your needs?

I use the BM-6As (not mkII, I guess, they're about 3 years old). I like and trust them. I don't understand your 'sweet' comment, or at least I don't know how it would relate to reference monitors. 'Accurate' and 'detailed' are always what I look for.

However, if you're after something 'sweet', I'd recommend trying the Genelecs. Although I have only ever used the 10-series, I've always found them a little too 'pretty' and 'easy', so maybe that would fit your needs?

sweet, i am refering to speakers that are slightly bias in the sweet spots, nice bass sharp treble not nessesarily a true flat sound i have my RM2's for that. it is always good to hear your mixs on more than what you mix on, a referance so to speak. what might sound good on one set may sound better or worse on another

sweet, i am refering to speakers that are slightly bias in the sweet spots, nice bass sharp treble not nessesarily a true flat sound i have my RM2's for that. it is always good to hear your mixs on more than what you mix on, a referance so to speak. what might sound good on one set may sound better or worse on another

Well, I would say that no speaker is truly flat, or at least no speaker and room is truly flat. The point with reference monitors is to have a very detailed image, and then to learn how they behave and relate to 'the outside world'.

If you want something that sounds 'nice', I would agree with lagerfeldt, you should get a hi-fi system to listen to. If you want a 'second opinion' on your mixes, though, this will probably not be a very valuable one... Hi-fi systems are designed to be 'flattering' to the material, and as such tend to obscure some of the detail that can be perceived as 'harsh'.

If you truly want a 'second opinion' on your mixes, I would say that any of these monitors would suffice. You should try them and see which ones you like (as I did when I bought the Dynaudios).

Well, I would say that no speaker is truly flat, or at least no speaker and room is truly flat. The point with reference monitors is to have a very detailed image, and then to learn how they behave and relate to 'the outside world'.

If you want something that sounds 'nice', I would agree with lagerfeldt, you should get a hi-fi system to listen to. If you want a 'second opinion' on your mixes, though, this will probably not be a very valuable one... Hi-fi systems are designed to be 'flattering' to the material, and as such tend to obscure some of the detail that can be perceived as 'harsh'.

If you truly want a 'second opinion' on your mixes, I would say that any of these monitors would suffice. You should try them and see which ones you like (as I did when I bought the Dynaudios).

yes you may of explained better than i did, i want a 2nd opinion on my current monitors rather than on the mix, how ever my digi's are very unflattering as you put it, it will be hard to source a demo on all speakers listed but will try.

thanks for your help, i do use mackie active 350's as my so to speak hi fi speakers

Just buy them. Return them. Rinse and repeat... Until you're satisfied.

Don't feel bad, one way or another (from this list) you'll be spending a few grand. You deserve to be sure of what you're getting for that price.

Just buy them. Return them. Rinse and repeat... Until you're satisfied.

Don't feel bad, one way or another (from this list) you'll be spending a few grand. You deserve to be sure of what you're getting for that price.

lol i never thought of that :lol:

I use the BM-6As (not mkII, I guess, they're about 3 years old).

I often recommend the BM6A (Mk2) as one of the few small monitors you can actually trust.

However, it's a cliche but it's true: knowing your monitors and listening environment is the most important thing.

I use Klein + Hummel O300D + O800 for main monitoring. Full range pressure chamber system, amazing clarity, image and headroom, and absolutely trustworthy.

Then I have a pair of small Minipod passive speakers powered by a Marantz amp, and they are the complete opposite: slightly exaggerated port bass, over the top >10kHz highs and a scooped mid for a "pleasant" listening experience. Self compresses when pushed above 90 dB, woofer wobble on <20 Hz material, etc.

Perfect for real-life testing, and I'm totally addicted to those small buggers for referencing. The K+H setup retails at $11,500 in Denmark and the Minipods (ex. amp) retails at $900 in Denmark. Pretty ironic but it fits my workflow.

I use the BM-6As (not mkII, I guess, they're about 3 years old).

I often recommend the BM6A (Mk2) as one of the few small monitors you can actually trust.

However, it's a cliche but it's true: knowing your monitors and listening environment is the most important thing.

I use Klein + Hummel O300D + O800 for main monitoring. Full range pressure chamber system, amazing clarity, image and headroom, and absolutely trustworthy.

Then I have a pair of small Minipod passive speakers powered by a Marantz amp, and they are the complete opposite: slightly exaggerated port bass, over the top >10kHz highs and a scooped mid for a "pleasant" listening experience. Self compresses when pushed above 90 dB, woofer wobble on <20 Hz material, etc.

Perfect for real-life testing, and I'm totally addicted to those small buggers for referencing. The K+H setup retails at $11,500 in Denmark and the Minipods (ex. amp) retails at $900 in Denmark. Pretty ironic but it fits my workflow.

:shock: if only :cry:

Archived