Quantizing questions in Logic Studio

Galaxy

Hi guys im pretty new to Logic. Just had a couple questions about quantizing. Are you able to quantize in percentages. I was a previous Reason user and I love how you can quantize in 80%, 90%, 100% or whatever percentage you wanted. Can you do that in Logic? Also I heard that you can quantize audio in Logic. Is that possible?

For midi regions: In the local menu, go to to View>Extended Region Parameters. In the inspector, you'll see what you're looking for.

Quantizing audio: I don't do a lot of it but I know it's absolutely possible in Logic. It probably involves anchor points. I'm sure someone will come along shortly with a better explanation.

For midi regions: In the local menu, go to to View>Extended Region Parameters. In the inspector, you'll see what you're looking for.

Quantizing audio: I don't do a lot of it but I know it's absolutely possible in Logic. I typically just convert audio regions to apple loops, but that's a tempo thing and not a quantization thing.

Probably involves anchor points. I'm sure someone will come along shortly with a better explanation.

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to select a region and then grab the envelope line that is over it (whether it be for volume, pan, etc...) and have it automatically break the automation to what was selected. I know that Live and even Pro Tools does this.

I am aware that I can use the Marque tool and then grab the envelope and it will break along the marque selection however, I want to select a given audio region and do the same thing.

Is this possible? I've been messing with it, but have haven't figured it out.

Thanks.

I think Galaxy means can you "partially quantize" so MIDI notes are pulled toward, but not completely to, the exact grid.

I don't know off the top of my head -- Galaxy, please read Chapter 19 of the manual and let us all know how to do it : )

Hi

Actually BGTD is correct. The parameter you want to mess with is the Strength parameter. If you set it to say 80% then all midi will be pulled towards the grid 80% of the way etc. I'm terrible at explaining things but you'll see what I mean. I LOVE this feature. Use it all the time.

HAve a good one. :D

Hi Galaxy,

Midi quantisation is one of Logics greatest strengths; it can do just about anything you can think of.

The guys are right quantise strength is the parameter you’re looking for. In the arrange window go to ‘View > Extended Region Parameters’ to see it in the inspector. Don’t forget that you have to set the quantise value first (1/8, 1/16 or whatever) for the strength parameter to work. Of course, you can adjust the % value while the song is playing to get the exact degree of looseness/rigidity you want.

Have a read through the quantisation chapter it’ll give you an idea how powerful this feature is.

Good Luck,

Alan.

Note that's for the "non-destructive quantization" function at the segment level.

You can also quantize the MIDI notes directly in the Piano Roll window. You need to work there if you only want to quantize some of the notes. Is there any way to adjust quantize strength there?

Well an item for a future Logic features list then... odd as it's a pretty standard sequencer feature needed for non-electronic music.

There's usually "strength" plus some kind of "humanize" function that randomizes note position (with its own strength setting).

Oh I do see a humanize in the Transform window. Not that I've been able to get the Transform window to do anything predictable for me yet... : )