10.5.4 + Logic + MOTU Ultralite = Headaches

Hey guys,

In advance I'm going to apologize for this post. It could get somewhat lengthy, but I'll try to keep it brief.

My secondary machine is a Macbook Pro Intel Core Duo (November 2006). It's been a great machine and a fabulous workhorse most of that time. In an audio capacity I use it mainly to record voiceover tracks in my sound booth when I have no one else to run the main board in my control room. It has worked out very handy in the past.

Key words there being "in the past." Recently I upgraded the machine to Leopard and the problems began. Not just with audio, but across the board. Kernel panics galore, no full boot after shutdown, you name it.

Recently I got a gig to do a few voiceover sessions and went to go about my business the normal way. That's when I noticed the audio issues. My MOTU Ultralite (updated firmware and drivers) doesn't seem to fully function under Leopard (or this machine). It is recognized and selected as my audio device, but seems to only receive input. Absolutely nothing out of the headphone out.

What I'm trying to get to the bottom of is whether this is a hardware or software (Leopard) issue. Last week I did a complete erase of the hard drive and fresh, clean install of Leopard which I immediately upgraded (Combo) to 10.5.4.

Any insights, answers, fresh coffee and cookies or anything else you might have to throw at me would be much appreciated. I'm this close to throwing the laptop out the window (which would not make my wallet happy).

Thanks!

Are you still getting kernel panics since your fresh install?

Did the MOTU work properly before Leopard? Can you test it on another machine?

Hey MtL,

No kernel panics since the fresh install, so that is good. Not sure what was causing the issue, but whatever it was it is gone now.

The MOTU does work on my main machine. I had to go back to that machine last night to get my VO work done on time.

I do think I have pinpointed part of the problem. My Macbook Pro is overheating. I nearly burned myself while the machine was repairing permissions via Disk Utility last night. The funny thing is, it ran beautifully under Tiger. It may be time for a trip to the Genius Bar this evening.

It still doesn't answer the issue with the MOTU, though. That I'm still trying to figure out.

Well, I'm glad to hear the reinstall calmed down the OS. I don't know what to suggest. (My 2nd question was just to make sure the MOTU problem wasn't a PEBCAK.) Seems it isn't - at least not the garden variety.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=PEBCAK

It is recognized and selected as my audio device, but seems to only receive input. Absolutely nothing out of the headphone out.

Have you checked the MOTU settings for the headphone default? And also the headphone tab in the CueMix, make sure everything is on and 11.

Do you run Rogue Amoeba's SoundSource? I find it a quick way to swap active I/O devices. And it has helped me troubleshoot a scenario where the Motu wasn't

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

Good luck.

No cookies, I'm wickedly gluten-intolerant. But my lady makes a superb quinoa granola.

Well, I'm glad to hear the reinstall calmed down the OS. I don't know what to suggest. (My 2nd question was just to make sure the MOTU problem wasn't a PEBCAK.) Seems it isn't - at least not the garden variety.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=PEBCAK

It is recognized and selected as my audio device, but seems to only receive input. Absolutely nothing out of the headphone out.

Have you checked the MOTU settings for the headphone default? And also the headphone tab in the CueMix, make sure everything is on and 11.

Do you run Rogue Amoeba's SoundSource? I find it a quick way to swap active I/O devices. And it has helped me troubleshoot a scenario where the Motu wasn't

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

Good luck.

No cookies, I'm wickedly gluten-intolerant. But my lady makes a superb quinoa granola.

No PEBCAK here. The device functions as normal on my main rig. The issues are only on the Macbook Pro that is running Leopard.

I'll check out Soundsource. Looks like it could come in handy.