Monitor Midi input for Software Instrument Track

effemix

Hey guys, i'm new to logic 8 Pro (former cubase user) and i need to monitor several tracks, included a software instrument track...

The thing is,it seems that logic only monitor the software instrumen input when the track is selected.

I need to Live mix a band, and can't afford to stop monitor the software instrument track if i accidentally click or select another track......

Is there any way to "safe monitor" the softwre instrument track, so it always read the midi input independently from the selected track? like "input" button for Audio tracks.

Ind advanced, thank you.

Best Regards.

If all you want is to monitor it, but not to record it, then you can cable the incoming MIDI straight into the software instrument: go to the environment window, choose the "click and ports" layer and option click the "SUM" output of the "physical input" object, and choose your software instrument channel strip from the menu that pops up.

With that new cabling, you won't be able to record any MIDI though, since you're bypassing the Arrange area.

Thanks David, that's exactly what i needed... but i'm in the enviorment window, clicks & ports layer, but can't see where to connect the sum cable...

the only thing i see in the window is "input view" , "input notes" "sequencer input" and "Midi Click".. how do i connect the sum to the software instrument ?

I think i had a workaround.. i opened 2 enviorment windows, one "click and ports" and the other "mixer", then i dragged the SUM cable to the Instrument Track en in the mixer window......seems to work fine, thank you very much Dave for your Help !

PD: for record the midi notes in the sequencer, I routed the Software Instrument Track back to the Sequencer input in Clicks& Ports... it's a bit confusing since you can't see the cables going one windows to another.... but still, very felxible, i love Logic....

So the diagram goes : SUM -> Software Instrument Channel in Mixer -> Sequencer Input in Clicks and Ports.