Recording question with logic?

Beastie

Running mac osx10.4.11 logic 8 with apogee convertors...through desk...

when recording vocals - what is the best pro method?

My main client doesnt want to use auto-comp as he find its frustrating...

(which is fair enough)

My aim here is to find the best and most effective way to record vocals in logic to suit our needs in this situation....

He would like the singer to be able to hear themselves while we play back the previous take so they can sing along and we can drop in - now the replace function with auto input monioring off seems to measure up in this instance - however is this a foolproof method....?

and how do you guys go about it?

ive been out of the recording loop for a while and have forgotten my old working method ( but im sure it was all fine back in logic 7 days but i was using it with protools...)

Thanks for your time guys!

much appreciated

PS please reply in simple terms... coz i need simple...

Most of the time I just use a lot of duplicate channels, in Logic you can have many virtual channels which will play back through the same mixer object, unlike Protools where you have to use Playlists.

Just use the "New with Same Channel Strip/Instrument" command from the Track Menu.

Make a few, start recording takes on them descending down the tracks. When you want to comp, you can just Separate sections of different takes and Unmute/mute the regions you want to hear/not hear.

Make sure the Track Mute/Solo option in the General Audio preferences is set to CPU Saving, as this will allow you to Muto/Solo individual tracks which are the same independently of one another...... if that makes any sense. Do it and it will make sense.

You could use punch on the fly, click and hold on rec button on transport bar and switch it on. Now, you need to be monitoring via software, so before you hit Record, you be listening to the recorded track, and when you hit Record, you be hearing the input. Another cool thing about Punch on the fly, is that Logic is recording even in play, so you could adjust the point of crossfades after the record, even in a point before you hit the record button.

You could use punch on the fly, click and hold on rec button on transport bar and switch it on. Now, you need to be monitoring via software, so before you hit Record, you be listening to the recorded track, and when you hit Record, you be hearing the input. Another cool thing about Punch on the fly, is that Logic is recording even in play, so you could adjust the point of crossfades after the record, even in a point before you hit the record button.

this is fine but my client wishes to have the singer hear herself over the recorded track so she can hear herself sing along and then drop in?

is this possible - bearing in mind we also have a desk available....

peace

this is fine but my client wishes to have the singer hear herself over the recorded track so she can hear herself sing along and then drop in?

peace

If you have a desk with sends and any crumby old hardware

reverb kicking about, keep all your vocalist foldback OUTSIDE

of Logic and your life will become sweeter than you ever

imagined ..........

-

C

foldback.thumb.jpg.212cd4bec1179498f24a149f0d267ae9.jpg

peace

If you have a desk with sends and any crumby old hardware

reverb kicking about, keep all your vocalist foldback OUTSIDE

of Logic and your life will become sweeter than you ever

imagined ..........

-

C

so whats goin on is i have mic coming in to desk through pre amp on desk - then from desk sent to logic via apogee then monitoring singer from tape on desk out of apogee........

would it be wiser to monitor the singer from input rather than output?

the way we have the desk setup is it linked up to logic so sends 1 -4 send to logic plugins and return up desk aux returns..... so that part is no problem....

just need o have the right setup ready to go for vocal sessions.... and i need to find myself a decent working method! lol

thanks for all responses - all helpful!

so in auto input monitor, punch on the fly will play back the track as normal, and then as soon as you push record the singer will hear themselves. For clarity, if you are not in record mode you will hear the last recorded take, when you are in record, you hear what you are recording. What I do is let it make a take folder. Then when everyone is pretty happy with one of the takes, I choose that take and then fix any small issues by punching.

Archived