bounces really soft

orelegam

I'm suddenly finding that when I bounce tracks to MP3/itunes they are at a much lower volume than before. I don't think I made any changes to the settings, but I must have done something....anyone experience this before?

One thing that I've been thinkin' lately ... it seems that these come up a lot. Recently I found out that someone having a similar problem was using 'soundcheck' in itunes wich I believe will lower the output of some songs. I'm really not sure how soundcheck works, but you might want to try turning it off (if it is indeed on) in the itunes preferences to see if that helps in any way.

Let me know what you find ... I haven't had the free time to do testing and if this solves your problem I would like to know.

I believe soundcheck lowers the volume of loud songs in a playlist with other songs that are perceived as being quieter. I had it turned on on an ipod years ago without realising and couldn't figure out why everything was so quiet, but it was because I was listening to a really big smart playlist which contained some very quiet music.

I get asked a lot of times when working at the studio, how to go about listening, importing and burning from itunes so I wrote this:

http://web.me.com/dpye/Site/No_Compression,_thanks%21.html

It details how to get itunes to playback accurately, and how to avoid compression, which was the main intention as I hate the thought of my recordings getting mp3'd then mp3'd again, then put on myspace, then burnt, then mp3'd.

Also, can I just say, I too have seen this question asked a million times and what is the biggest problem to me is that people never say if their music just sounds "Soft" or "Quiet" compared to OTHER music, or compared to their own music playing from Logic.

Are people just missing the point when it comes to Mastering or have they got itunes set up wrongly?

The simplest way to find out what the bounced file sounds like is to open it in Quicktime, that removes MOST of the guess work.

Also, can I just say, I too have seen this question asked a million times and what is the biggest problem to me is that people never say if their music just sounds "Soft" or "Quiet" compared to OTHER music, or compared to their own music playing from Logic.

Are people just missing the point when it comes to Mastering or have they got itunes set up wrongly?

The simplest way to find out what the bounced file sounds like is to open it in Quicktime, that removes MOST of the guess work.

awesome work ... I've booked marked it and plan on linking it whenever I see this question unanswered.

Archived