noise

dle353

I'm brand new to logic,garageband ,apple.... all of it. I have just a basic question. What tools do any of you recommend is the best for me to apply to eliminate background hissing and general noise from recordings. not room noise, actual hissing during playback. I'm sure there's a simple answer, again I'm a rookie. Thanks

I'm brand new to logic,garageband ,apple.... all of it. I have just a basic question. What tools do any of you recommend is the best for me to apply to eliminate background hissing and general noise from recordings. not room noise, actual hissing during playback. I'm sure there's a simple answer, again I'm a rookie. Thanks

Is this hiss present on the tracks that you have recorded into Logic? Like, if you play one of the audio regions in the Sample Editor window, is the hiss present as part of the recording?

If so, I think you should stop worrying about "eliminating" the hiss, and start looking into why the hiss is there in the first place. You should be able to record without any hiss issues.

So, first thing's first: you need to tell us what you're working on! Macbook, iMac, etc? What is your audio interface (as whatever you're using will probably be the main culprit for the hiss)? And so forth. Give us as many details as possible. We simply cannot help you without any info about your setup!

For future reference, do what most of us have done and add your details to your signature!

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the lack of information. I'm running a fast track pro thru a mac book 10.4.11 with 2 gigs of memory on logic express 8. The noise is only heard when recording live instruments or vocals. The loops are fine. I'm leaning towards possible cables or levels on the interface itself (it's USB) but I'm not quite sure. If this is the case I was hoping there would be a way I could possibly eliminate or reduce the hissing thru the program. Please advise if you require more information. Thank you, Dave

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the lack of information. I'm running a fast track pro thru a mac book 10.4.11 with 2 gigs of memory on logic express 8. The noise is only heard when recording live instruments or vocals. The loops are fine. I'm leaning towards possible cables or levels on the interface itself (it's USB) but I'm not quite sure. If this is the case I was hoping there would be a way I could possibly eliminate or reduce the hissing thru the program. Please advise if you require more information. Thank you, Dave

Okay, I've never worked with Fast Track Pro, but there shouldn't be any hiss when you record. I use a USB A/I as well, and haven't had any problems. However, I have had hiss in the past, and that was when I had plugged in my guitar through my A/I and turned on the "instrument" function, rather than just keeping everything on "line." It seemed as though the interface brought up the input signal to a loud hiss, and even the headphone mix started to bleed into my recordings. Now, I just keep everything on "line" and have never had to deal with hiss since.

When you're tracking your audio recording, do you hear the hiss then, or is it only present once you've finished recording and are playing it back?

Also, what are you recording exactly? Electric guitar with an effects pedal? Acoustic guitar through a mic? Or just vocals? Give us some more info. This is important to know.

How are you connecting what you're recording? Give us the cable details. It seems like your A/I doesn't have a 1/4-inch input (or maybe it does?), just 2 XLRs-- so, if you're recording your electric, what are the cables that you're using?

Are you able to use other cables, in order to rule out the cabling issue?

Also, what is that "pad" button on the interface? You have a lot of gain knobs, mix levels, output levels... Play around with the knobs and see if anything changes-- always start from complete silence and then slowly raise the knobs, each one in small increments. Try to figure out if one is creating a significant hiss. Make sure you don't have everything turned way up, as this will definitely cause you problems!

Hope that's a start in the right direction... :wink:

In response to your input, you have brought up alot of interesting thoughts on the settings etc..I do here the hiss noise when I'm recording as well. I will definately sit down and try to tweek the settings and will go from there.I have to admit and maybe it's just human nature but I probably do have alot of my volumes and such up too high. This interface is good however it has a very small pre amp. I have heard complaints about volumes in other forums. I will just have to work the problems and gradually invest in different or higher end equipment as I go. Got to start somewhere. Thanks again for your help. I'm sure I will have plenty more questions as I go however your info on this issue has been very informative. Again thanks. P.s. In response to your question in regards to "What" I'm recording, mainly electric(fender strat) and acoustic guitar(takamine)and vocals(shure mic). Any effects have been through logic. No external pedals right now. Two combination inputs. Mic or 1/4 inch on both.

I highly recommend Soundtrack Pro for denoising. Look at the audio waveform editor, and use the Process menu to find ways to "detect noise print" then reduce noise. In the frequency spectrum view, you can also select little sections of certain frequencies and remove them, making it easy to "see" and delete hiss.

David,Sound track Pro? can I use that with LE8 or only Pro? To Kingery, after these discussions I can almost guarantee that my levels are too high. like I had said, my interface has a small pre amp which in turn naturally gets me to cranking my levels up. I just have to get in the habit of knowing this for the time being. I'm sure the a little adjustment with this it will be ok. I have to say for the record that this forum is top notch. Thanks for all your help, Dave mac osx 10.4.11 2.16 core2 duo 2 gig

David,Sound track Pro? can I use that with LE8 or only Pro? To Kingery, after these discussions I can almost guarantee that my levels are too high. like I had said, my interface has a small pre amp which in turn naturally gets me to cranking my levels up. I just have to get in the habit of knowing this for the time being. I'm sure the a little adjustment with this it will be ok. I have to say for the record that this forum is top notch. Thanks for all your help, Dave mac osx 10.4.11 2.16 core2 duo 2 gig

I think Soundtrack Pro only comes with LP8 only.

Make sure you also try to record your audio with "line" and not "instrument"-- that may be the culprit!

Archived