Logic 6 G4 freezing

Shari

I've just leapt from 4.5 to 6 and to a new-to-me G4 533. Not that powerful, I know, but the previous owner was runnning Logic Pro 6 with no problem. However, I'm experiencing randomfreezing every 5-15 minutes. I can only reboot by turning off the computer. Needless to say, I'd like to fix this. Any ideas?

I would help to know what you are doing when it freezes. How many audio or instrument tracks are you running any plug-ins? What OS, 9 or 10?

If you are in 10, go into applications->Utilities->Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, highlight your system drive, and then click "Repair Permissions"

Like I said, more info on your setup would be more helpful, but this is a place to start from.

Good Luck

Thanks for the response Chris & David.

Yes, I realized after I posted that I should have provided more info. The previous owner ran 6 in OS 9.2 but I installed mine in in OS X which might have been my downfall. I have also since learned that the ESX24 sounds are CPU hogs (I was running 4 of them) as are some of the effects (although I'm careful to run just one or two as busses rather than inserts and send stuff to them). I have also since learned about freezing tracks to liberate some CPU room. It was also suggested that I raise the buffer from (was it 540 to 2400? - I'm not sitting in front of my computer at the moment.) I was hopeful al these steps would resolve it, but it froze again just before I quit for the night. I will try your suggestioin of repairing the system drive. My next step will likely be to reinstall in OS 9. Does it sound like I'm on the right track?

I really appreciate your help. I'm well experienced in Logic, but not so much in troubleshooting.

Shari

How much RAM do you have installed? OS X does like a lot of RAM.

Here's a tip: whenever you have a mn, put all your system specs (CPU, RAM, OS, Hardware..) into your signature, so it's always there with every post you make.

Anyway, you shouldn't have to go back to OS 9. All the tips you mention are good for freeing up the CPU, but still, you shouldn't crash so easily.

Repairing permissions should be your first attempt at troubleshooting. Another thing: do you leave your mac on at night? OS X, like Unix, was designed to be left on 24/7, and some of the auto-maintenance (like clearing cache files) happens at night. So make sure you leave your mac on.

Do you have ONE song that always crashes (could be a corrupted session) or do you crash with any song? In the latter case, and if the other suggestions don't help, you might want to try a clean install: wipe out your drive, install OS X, install Logic. That should definitely help!

Please, also note that, even though I don't believe your system should crash so often, it is borderline as far as CPU power. Both OS X and Logic Pro 6 (even more so with 7) like a fast CPU and a lot of RAM.

So while you learn troubleshooting with this machine (which is always a good thing to know :wink: ), I suggest considering an upgrade to a faster machine!

Please, also note that, even though I don't believe your system should crash so often, it is borderline as far as CPU power.

I know, I know....I was trying to save some $ - I knew it was running fine for the previous owner until he tried to go to 7 - at which point he went to a G5. So I figured it would be fine for me - but as I said, he was running in OS 9.

So while you learn troubleshooting with this machine (which is always a good thing to know :wink: ), I suggest considering an upgrade to a faster machine!

I did come darn close to making a different choice, but this was a quick and easy way for me to make a leap without having to spend a week or so pulling all the pieces together ( and another $2000). I couldn't afford to be "down" that long, But of course, quick and easy doesn't translate when things freeze!

Ah well....live and learn!

Sorry I missed answering some questions there -

I haven't completely solved the problem, but it does seem to be happening far less frequently. It's only freezing one an hour or so instead of every few minutes. I I did the repair permissions - and have the little CPU monitor up - it's certainly remaining low.

I've only been working on the one song which I can't quite leave yet so we'll see how it does with other songs.

I've got 756 mgs of Ram, which I know isn't a lot for OS X and as I said before, I should probably revert to OS 9.2. Having it freeze IS INDEED a pain!

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Shari

It does it on other songs too. Frankly, after much research, I think the problem is NOT with the Logic program, but with the OSX update - 10.3.8. I've noticed on the Mac Forums, hundreds of folks complaining about freezes and crashes when they updated their OS to this particular version. And the previous owner never had crashes with 9.2. So my assessment is that it's not a LOGIC issue....but MAN, is it frustring!!! Makes it REEEL hard to enjoy working..

Hence, here I am talking to you!

Shari